This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I’ve curated a list of my top romantic comedy movie picks for those night-ins as spring break begins this week. Whether you’re snuggled up with your partner, enjoying a night in with friends, or simply indulging in some well-deserved self-care with a heartwarming movie, these picks are sure to set the mood. 

The Holiday- 2006

One of my favorite holiday rom-coms with everything one would want in a Christmas movie! The film is about an English woman named Iris (Kate Winslet) who just went through a painful breakup and decides to go on a much-needed vacation where she exchanges homes with a Californian (Cameron Diaz) hoping for love. Soon enough, the lovesick ladies each end up meeting a local guy (Jude Law and Jack Black) and falling in love. 

While You Were Sleeping- 1995

A Chicago Transit Authority token collector named Lucy (Sandra Bullock) ends up saving her longtime crush Peter (Peter Gallagher) from an oncoming train, and soon a misled statement she makes to Peter’s family leads them to believe she is his fiancée. The undeniable chemistry and sarcastic humor between Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman, who plays another love interest, will leave you in tears.

Love Jones- 1997

“Love Jones” follows the story of Darius Lovehall (Larenz Tate), a young black poet in Chicago, who begins a relationship with Nina Mosley (Nia Long), an aspiring photographer. As they navigate their connection, questioning if it’s love or just casual, they spend time with friends discussing love and intimacy. However, when Nina challenges the depth of Darius’ feelings, it triggers a series of romantic complications.

Grosse Pointe Blank- 1997

Grosse Pointe Blank is more of a Black Comedy, and stars John Cusack and Minnie Driver. The film is about a man named Martin Blank (John Cusack), a professional assassin, who finds himself on a mission to a quiet Detroit suburb called Grosse Pointe. Coincidentally, his mission coincides with his ten-year high school reunion, adding an unexpected twist to his already complex situation.

High Fidelity- 2000

“High Fidelity” follows Rob Gordon (John Cusack), the owner of a struggling record store store in Chicago, where he sells vinyl records in the age of digital music. Despite his deep knowledge and passion for music, Rob’s life hits a sour note when his girlfriend, Laura, leaves him. Through examining his past relationships, and personal failures, Rob is reluctantly forced to confront the realities of adulthood.

Notting Hill- 1999

The unexpected romance blooms between Anna Scott (Julia Roberts), a renowned actress, and William Thacker (Hugh Grant), owner of a bookstore in Notting Hill. However, their relationship faces challenges as the intrusive paparazzi spotlight threatens to overshadow their love story.

Austenland- 2013

A woman (Keri Russell) with a fervent love for “Pride and Prejudice” embarks on a journey to a Jane Austen-themed park, hoping to find her ideal gentleman amidst the regency-era romance and intrigue.

Ruby Sparks- 2012

A struggling novelist (Paul Dano) discovers an unconventional source of inspiration for romance: he creates a female character (Zoe Kazan) whom he believes will love him, and astonishingly, she comes to life through his writing.

Anjulina Varghese

Stony Brook '23

Hello! My name is Anjulina and I am a Senior at Stony Brook University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in filmmaking. I am a huge movie buff and love listening to music while I am studying (Korean R&B is a favorite at the moment!). I also love reading books during my free time and watching period dramas :)