7 Reasons We Should All Be Like the Gilmore Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

1. They’re independent Lorelai left her home at a young age, got a job and raised her daughter, Rory, all by herself. Lorelai never depended on anyone to help her pay for rent or to help raise Rory. Now, I’m not saying you should have a baby and leave home, but I do believe that being able to support yourself is a big accomplishment and this is what we should all strive for.

2. They’re ambitiousRory had been dreaming about going to an Ivy League University ever since she was young. She worked super hard and ended up attending Yale. Lorelai always wanted to have her own Inn and she was eventually able to open up The Dragonfly Inn. No matter what obstacles were in their way, they overcame the hardships and become successful.

3. They know how to get through a break up by wallowing

Lorelai said it best when she said that we are allowed to wallow after a breakup. Rory was trying to be strong after her break up with Dean and pretended like she was fine. But Lorelai knew that she needed to cry and get all of her emotions out. Wallowing is good and can even be healing.

4. They put their careers before their relationships When Logan proposed to Rory at the end of the series, she turned him down because she wanted to chase her dreams of being a journalist. That takes true courage and strength.

5. They do girl’s night right Pizza, ice-cream, chocolate, Pop-Tarts and more and more food, the Gilmore girls know how to throw a party. Feather boas, cute clothes and great friends are only a few of the highlights of the night.

6. They know how to eat well

Who else could make Chinese food, pancakes and pizza for dinner sound like a gourmet meal?

7. They put their family firstNothing can break the bond between Rory and Lorelai. They show us that family always comes first, no matter what.

Kayla Keller

Stony Brook

I am a Junior at Stony Brook University majoring in Linguistics and minoring in English and Writing and Rhetoric. I love reading and traveling to places I've never been before. I often go on adventures, such as hiking and finding new towns and cities to explore. These moments truly inspire me to continue writing, especially about the different places I've gone to and the experiences I've had. Ever since I was a young girl, I've always wanted to become a published author!
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor