7 Picturesque Spots on Long Island

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Spring is rapidly approaching. One thing I enjoy doing most is to be outside, feel the warmth of the sun on my skin and to see everything come back to life again. It feels good to be in the open air after some long winter months cooped up in a dorm room.

My favorite aspect of Long Island is its beauty. Here are a few spots I highly suggest exploring during the spring and summer months. Make it a worthwhile day trip. Don’t forget to take pictures! There will be plenty of instagram worthy shots.

McAllister County Park

Port Jefferson, New York

7 miles from campus

With the closest proximity to campus, there is simply no reason not to visit. Take a daytrip out to Port Jefferson for some delicious seafood from The Steam Room restaurant and grab yourself some freshly made gelato from the Port Jefferson Frigate. After some good food, visit the county park. I took this picture from a scenic overlook of the park down below. You can walk along the shore on the sandy beach and see Connecticut from afar.

Bayard Cutting Arboretum

Great River, New York

19 miles from campus

The arboretum is in memory of William Bayard Cutting. Its intent is to “to provide an oasis of beauty and quiet for the pleasure, rest and refreshment of those who delight in outdoor beauty; and to bring about a greater appreciation and understanding of the value and importance of informal planting.” There is an estate on the premises where you can take a tour. During the Christmas season, the house is adorned with holiday decorations. There is also a small cafe and a back porch where you can have a little snack, with a gorgeous view of the land and the Connetquot river in the distance.

Old Westbury Gardens

Westbury, New York

32 miles from campus

If you love historic sites, visit here. I came here in June a few years ago and have been dying to return. You can take a tour of the beautiful mansion, which was once owned by John Shaffer Phipps, a successful man who made big fortunes in the U.S. Steel industry. The mansion is styled with English antiques and the grounds include a few gardens, ponds, woodlands, and lakes.  

Belmont Lake State Park

North Babylon, New York

22 miles from campus

Feel like going on a run? Well, Belmont Lake has a nature trail that goes around the lake. You can take your dog here, have a BBQ picnic one afternoon, and during the warmer months, you can go row boating or paddleboating around the lake!

Sunken Meadow State Park

Kings Park, New York

11 miles from campus

I once took a field trip canoeing through the Sunken Meadow Creek. It’s a fun place that has a plethora of activities to do. Visit the beach, go on a nature hike, rent some canoes and be sure to stay to watch the sunset.

Robert Moses State Park Field Five

Bay Shore, NY

28.7 miles from campus

What is great about this location is that Field Five specifically has a beach, a playground, and a nature walk to the fire island lighthouse. You will see some deer as you walk along the wooden path. There is also a museum that shows you fire island’s history and how the lighthouse can to be as it is today. There is a small fee to climb the lighthouse; but the view is gorgeous-to one side you view the Atlantic Ocean and to the other you will see Long Island and the Great South Bay. Fun Fact: The Fire Island Lighthouse is taller than the Montauk Point Lighthouse, go figure.

And for those of you who really like adventure and mystery…

Kings Park Psychiatric Center

Kings Park, New York

11 miles from campus

This location is made up of a bunch of abandoned buildings that were once used to take care of the mentally ill. Nowadays, it is a park where people can take walks through, admire the historic buildings and view some really cool grafitti. The park has a spooky vibe. But if you are up for adventures, I’d highly suggest exploring here. It is also in close proximity to the Nissequogue river and the sunsets here are beautiful.

Check out this link for more pictures and historic information: Kings Park Abandoned Buildings

Remember, these places are also great anytime year round, especially during the summer and fall months. I’ve personally taken every single one of the pictures shown above (except for the Westbury Garden picture) and visited each one with my boyfriend, Alex. I love these locations and they make great memories…please go check them out!

Tiffany is a senior at Stony Brook University majoring in Business Management. She’s an avid chocolate lover, enjoys traveling, taking pictures and baking. One day she aspires to speak Spanish fluently.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor