7 Easy Ways to Practice Hygge in College for Ultimate Bliss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

As an eternally busy collegiette who may often be found running back and forth through campus with her laptop glued to her arms, I love being on the go. In fact, the one sentence you’ll probably never hear me say is “I’m bored,” unless the word “not” is in between them. Still, I also enjoy getting cozy under my fluffy blanket with a cup of hot cocoa and warm, fuzzy socks. And nothing spells comfy like turning off the lights and keeping pretty string lights on to emulate dim lighting. Two words: Ultimate. Bliss.

Little did I know that these rituals of comfort are an actual part of Scandanavian culture, and they call it Hygge (pronounced HOO-gah). It’s a way of life that emphasizes coziness, sharing warmth with loved ones and celebrating the little things. And guess what: it actually is as easy as chilling in an oversized sweater and sipping on hot cocoa!

As college students, we probably don’t make enough time to sit back and appreciate the small things—like a warm blanket shared among friends. We’re just all go, go, go all the time. Luckily, you can practice this culture of coziness using items you probably already have in your dorm room—the only thing you need to invest in hygge is time. Here are some simple things you can do if you want to get a head start on living more comfortably this semester.

1. Make your bed cozier with decorative pillows.

A pillow with a cool print or inspirational quote can automatically make you more excited to jump into bed. If you have any of these at home, or pillowcases like these at home, bring them the next time you visit to make your space even cozier. And, if you dabble in DIY, you can actually make the pillows yourself instead. Get your choice of printed fabric and fiber filling and stuff your own cute pillow.

2. Gather your friends for a nice, hot home cooked (dorm cooked?) dinner.

Cooking in college can sometimes be such a hassle that you feel like you’re better off settling for whatever’s in the dining hall, but I promise cooking your own food once in a while won’t kill you. Get some of your closest friends to help you make pasta or another warm favorite. Then, after you clean up, gather in your dorm room and enjoy! There’s nothing more warming than sharing a plate with a close friend.

3. Hang string lights for a nice mood lighting.

I have to admit that this is a personal favorite of mine. And in case you were wondering, yes, string lights are okay in the residence halls as long as they don’t touch the walls. Instead, hang them on your desk. They will single-handedly make your room 10 times cozier, and this may honestly be the only time you say that you want to stay in your room.

4. Bring the coziest blanket from home that you can find.

The chunkier the knit, the better! Ultra comfortable throws and blankets are the perfect ingredient for a day or evening of blissful fun. Don’t believe me? Try it yourself and see if you’ll want to get out of bed once you’re already under the covers.

5. Take a nice hike outdoors instead of going to the gym.

Hygge isn’t just about getting comfy indoors—it also emphasizes an appreciation for the world around you, and that means getting outside. If you have 40 minutes to spare, walk around campus and explore. You’d be surprised by what you can find when you’re not rushing to class with your coffee spilling out of your cup.

6. Cuddle up with a good book and a warm drink.

If you feel like you still want to be productive, you can never go wrong with reading a book you’ve been meaning to read, or re-visiting a personal favorite. It’s a great way to get all cozy while still working your brain. Personally, I find that reading a few chapters in a book helps me focus before I start doing school work. Also, don’t forget your warm drink of choice. Bonus points if you have that chunky knit blanket.

7. Have a warm breakfast in bed.

What better way to get all toasty than while you eat actual toast! I know that requires getting up and out of bed early to make food, but at least you can go right back to bed afterward. There are so many fun ways to get creative with breakfast, so it’ll definitely be worth it. And, if you don’t think you’re a good cook or you swear you don’t have time for making anything yourself, head to the nearest dining hall for all your hot breakfast favorites and bring it back to your room with you.

Not only are these ideas super easy and Instagram-worthy, but they’re also great for when you need some time to breathe and de-stress. If you’re ready to take a page from the Scandinavian book of bliss, try out one of these hygge activities this week!

Jasmin is a News Blogger at Her Campus and chapter member at Her Campus Stony Brook. She enjoys blogging, photography, exercising and super sharp eyeliner. Check out her college lifestyle blog Macarons & Mascara and follow her on Twitter @jay_su_
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor