7 Big Girl Items to Add to Your Christmas List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

So we’re all totally grown up now — even if we don’t feel like adults yet — and some of us will be leaving the bittersweet college nest in a year or two and we’ll have to actually be adults. I don’t think anyone ever actually knows how to adult perfectly (our parents maybe?) but we can still take our time to learn, and this Christmas is the perfect opportunity to make some super sophisticated (and super cute!) purchases that’ll help you adult just a little bit better.

1. A Sleek Wristlet I recently learned that wristlets are great when you want to go out but don’t want to take an entire purse with you but still want to be able to carry your school ID, driver’s license, phone, money, Sephora Beauty Insider card, etc. Wristlets hang conveniently on your wrist and are easy to keep track of. Buy one good, sturdy wristlet so it’ll last you a really long time. Also, pick a color that would look chic and professional so you can use it for interviews, too.

2. A Weatherproof Jacket I used to be obsessed with peacoats because they were so sophisticated looking and very flattering on everyone, but some coats are just no match for harsh weather. Invest in a jacket that’s rain proof, snow proof, and wind proof. I bought a weatherproof one from The North Face on Black Friday (on sale!!!) and it’ll definitely be useful for my winter trip to Ireland. Get a good jacket that will keep the cold out no matter where you go so you don’t have to keep spending money on a new winter jacket every year.

3. A Smart-Looking Blazer A nice blazer is a college wardrobe ESSENTIAL. You never know when the opportunity for a job interview or career fair could arise so it’s best to be prepared. If you still don’t have a blazer somewhere in your closet full of collegiate apparel and workout clothes, it’s definitely time to invest in one.

4. A Bank Account

So you don’t exactly buy a bank account, but it’s still good to have one all set up and ready to be used. Jobs and internships that you may have in the near future will likely use direct deposit in order to pay you, so having a bank account will take care of that. Plus, it feels great and super adult-y to have an emergency debit card for money that’s completely your own.

5. A Fancy Pen that You Take EVERYWHERE  I’m known to be without a writing utensil at the worst possible moments, as I recently found out. I guess when you go out to dinner you don’t think, “TURN THE CAR AROUND, I FORGOT MY PEN!” But still, there are definitely certain situations — like an interview — when you DON’T want to not have a pen on hand. Invest in a cute one that’ll make you excited to take it everywhere.

6. A Sturdy, Spillproof Insulated Travel Mug You can’t be an adult without an insulated travel mug to have your coffee on the go. Well, I guess you can but you’ll likely end up late for class because you woke up late and couldn’t take your morning cup with you. A travel mug will let you enjoy your coffee, tea, or hot chocolate wherever you are.

7. A Natural, Everyday Lipstick Natural looking lipstick shades are so great for professional events and an everyday makeup look for class. When I’m rushing to get out of the room but still want to add a bit of color to my lips, I always reach for my more natural looking liquid lipstick because I don’t have to worry about it not looking good with my outfit or anything. 

Jasmin is a News Blogger at Her Campus and chapter member at Her Campus Stony Brook. She enjoys blogging, photography, exercising and super sharp eyeliner. Check out her college lifestyle blog Macarons & Mascara and follow her on Twitter @jay_su_
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor