5 Ways to Order a Starbucks Drink Without Dairy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I have a love-hate relationship with milk, cheese and all things dairy. I can’t resist smothering a toasted everything bagel with more cream cheese than is safe for a single human to consume. But at the same time, having anything milky or cheesy is a sure-fire way to send me running to my room for an early bedtime (and to the dermatologists’ office with a fresh crop of breakouts on my cheeks!). So when I decided to completely abandon my favorite Starbucks order of all time—a venti iced white chocolate mocha—I began trying out different drinks with alternative ingredients to find the new love of my life.

Contrary to what many may believe, those who are lactose intolerant or have a dairy allergy are not limited to Starbucks’ shaken iced teas and bitter black coffees darker than my soul. Starbucks provides almond milk, soy milk and coconut milk, which are great alternatives for whole or 2% milk. And, surprisingly, their syrups (with the exception of most seasonal flavors) are dairy-free. If this is music to your dairy-free ears, check out these recipes to inspire your next order.

1. Strawberries and Creme Frappuccino with coconut milk and no whipped cream.

Frappuccinos are basically dessert here, but if you want one that’s less decadent and more light and refreshing, order the strawberries and creme frappuccino. But swap out the whole milk for coconut milk (don’t worry, it’ll still give it that slightly sweet taste), and avoid the whipped cream. Bonus: the pale pink shade of this drink is perfect for a spring-themed Instagram feed!

2. Strawberry Acai Refresher with coconut milk, strawberries and blackberries.

Remember the pink drink that became so popular as a secret menu item that Starbucks just had to add it as a permanent item to the menu? You’re just taking the pink drink up a notch by adding strawberries and blackberries. The blackberries really give it an extra punch of juicy flavor. It won’t change the shade of the drink, but you might become hooked on this addition for life.​

3. Iced Caramel Macchiato with coconut milk and a pump of raspberry syrup.

If you refuse to stay away from iced macchiatos, I’m about to enhance your love tenfold. I will definitely admit that coconut milk with bitter espresso in the caramel macchiato does give it an odd taste. But the raspberry syrup adds that hint of sweetness the amended drink needs. And, who knew raspberry and caramel would go so great together? And, if you ask your barista to mix the pump of raspberry with the coconut milk instead of just letting it sit at the bottom, you end up with a really cool layer of pink milk under the espresso.

4. Double shot on ice with soy milk and a touch of mocha syrup.

This one’s for all the all-nighters you’re currently pulling and all the ones you will pull during finals week. The mocha syrup is a pretty sweet way to spice up espresso and milk, and you really don’t need a lot, so you can avoid a sugar rush.

5. Iced latte with soy milk and a pump each of fudge syrup and hazelnut syrup.

The best way to describe this drink is like sipping on a nutty, chocolatey ice cream sundae. Hazelnut and fudge flavors go so well together already—almost like biting into a Ferrero Rocher chocolate. Almost. Add this to your soy latte for a satisfyingly sweet treat.

Jasmin is a News Blogger at Her Campus and chapter member at Her Campus Stony Brook. She enjoys blogging, photography, exercising and super sharp eyeliner. Check out her college lifestyle blog Macarons & Mascara and follow her on Twitter @jay_su_
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor