5 Ways to Motivate Yourself to Go to the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

1. Exercise because you love your body, not because you hate it

I know, I know, this is easier said than done. While yelling at yourself about how out of shape you are may seem like an effective way to push yourself into exercising, in reality it’s a horrible strategy. You may be able to shame yourself into a workout that way but in the long run, you won’t stick with going to the gym. You need to let that negativity go and take a new approach. We all have a flaw, that’s what makes us unique. Remind yourself that you may not be where you want to be just yet, but life is a journey; try to be easy on yourself. 

2. Upgrade your workout gear Find exercise clothes that are comfortable and cute and magically, you’ll find a little more motivation to work out. Just like buying new clothes makes you excited to dress up for any occasion, buying new work out apparel works the same way! 

3. Make the perfect playlistMusic is a must-have when going to the gym! Create a playlist that will keep you distracted from your burning muscles or the sweat dripping in your eyes. Just when you think you’re officially out of energy, a new song you love will come on and soon enough you’ll forget all about being tired. 

4. Sign up for a fitness classIf you are just getting into going to the gym don’t be afraid to sign up for one of the many classes Stony Brook has to offer. All classes have accommodations for all skill levels, and the instructors will guide you through every move. The best part of these classes is that you sign up on a weekly basis and you can easily add a class into your weekly schedule. Having a fitness class in your schedule will make you want to visit the gym more regularly. 

5. Bring a friendBalancing school, work, a social life and the gym may seem like a lot, but if you can find a way to merge two of those you’ll feel like you really accomplished something. Not only can bringing a friend to the gym help you stay on track, but it can also make you feel more comfortable if you are too anxious to hit the gym alone. 

- -

Stony Brook

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor