5 Things I Learned During Her Conference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

This summer I got to experience the magic of going to my first all women’s conference held by Her Campus called Her Conference! I heard how great it was from others, but nothing’s like going yourself and preferably with a buddy. So I bought my ticket and I came packed and ready to take on two days worth of notes, pictures, and swag. It was such a great opportunity to meet new people and get advice from business women who had insight on what it’s like after college. They even had powerful and inspiring keynote speakers open and end the day, including Pretty Little Liars’ Troian Bellisario, and How to Get Away with Murder’s Aja Naomi King. I learned a lot and with great knowledge comes the responsibility to pass it on! Here are five great things I learned at Her Conference for this semester and life.

1. Don’t be afraid to be bossy. 

Being a boss is more than just a title. Taking charge and getting things done is essential especially after you graduate. Interested in a job on or off campus? Don’t be afraid to ask someone who has a job that you want out for coffee and ask about their job. Networking can be hard but it’s even harder when you don’t speak up. Speaking up for what you want and don’t want is crucial.

2. Take advantage of all your college resources before it’s too late. 

One great thing about going to college is the number of resources you have access to, including your professors! Take advantage of your professors and classes, treat it all like a job. At the end of the day who knows you best then a professor in your major who can write you an awesome letter of recommendation. Remember you got yourself there and keep going.3. Do your own PR. 

Think about who you are and what makes you special. List the three things that market you as a brand and create your thirty-second elevator pitch. Think of your long-term goals and work backward by connecting with people and building your reputation. Try to stand out from the crowd! Make it a game to know three new people wherever you go. Don’t downplay your resume! You worked hard for everything that’s on it. Your image is everything and how you present yourself is important.

4. Use social media to kick butt. 

At Her Conference, there were a lot of social media superstars. A lot of them talked about how you should use your social media platforms like a portfolio. Interested in cooking? Show it. Photography skills on point? Display it. If you follow someone who has a job that you’re interested in, then don’t be afraid to slide in their DM’s and message them. Put stuff up that you’re into to showcase your personal brand, and always be authentic to who you are.   

5. Post-college internships don’t hurt. 

Most students do at least one internship in college probably more, but what about one after you graduate? Internships have this stigma of only being done while you’re in school but they shouldn’t. If you’re unsure of what you want to do still, internships allow you to explore without fully committing at the end. They also open up more opportunities to network. So always treat your internship like a real job and keep your mind open to new opportunities.

A great quote I highlighted in my notebook during the conference was “Believe in yourself and be passionate.” Don’t hold yourself back no matter what. Go out there and be the best you!

Gif courtesy of Tenor Gif. 

Star Loving; Moon Child. Voracious Reading; Tea Hipster. With a passion for writing the world Gold!
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor