5 Shows You Should Be Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Not a lot of people realize it, but TV has a huge impact on our society. Not only can it portray aspects of our lives, but it can also serve as an outlet to our own. Having said that, I’ve found myself watching more Netflix than I should even with finals week soon approaching. I thought I should share with you guys which shows have caught my attention and deserve some more.

1. Game of Thrones

My summer was defined by Game of Thrones. This show was the fastest I’ve been through because it is so addicting. It is inevitable that you will fall in love with of the characters because the character development in this show is unreal. The road to finding a new ruler for Westeros is wild and heart-wrenching. Also, all of them are pretty good looking which should only give people more reason to watch.

2. Broad City

One of the weirdest and funniest shows I have come across is Broad City. The two main characters, Abbi and Ilana, are twenty-something-year-olds trying to navigate their lives in New York City. Their misadventures are hilarious and both are extremely quirky. They’re hard not to love. Also, if you’re from the city, this show is so relatable. From gross train rides to rude people in the streets, you are reminded of the NYC life from campus.

3. The Good Doctor

The first season just started this fall and it’s dramatically alluring. It’s a heart-warming show about a young autistic man and his journey of becoming a doctor. Dr. Shaun Murphy will definitely pull at your heartstrings. Also, if you’re a science nerd like I am, you get to brush up on human anatomy and biological functions.

4. Black Mirror

This show is trippy. The whole concept behind it is a futuristic dystopia in which everything is taken to an extreme. Each episode has a different theme and plot with different characters. It addresses issues in our society that we don’t normally think about and presents it in a way that is intriguing and entertaining. I’ve had to reevaluate my life a few times watching this show.

5. Stranger Things

Last, but not least. The second seasoned aired this fall with the first season being a huge hit. It’s set in the 80s and revolves around a group of friends who discover something that shakes Hawkins to its core. You learn a lot about loyalty and friendship in this show, but I personally love it for the 80s fashion.

Whether it’s dramatic or comedic, I think what makes a good show is that it’s relatable and the characters are easy to empathize with. It’s hard to stop watching once you start with one of these shows; binge-watching has basically become a part of my daily routine. I shouldn’t be watching this many shows so I can actually focus on my school work, but TV shows make life so much more entertaining.

Gifs courtesy of giphy.com

Junior Health Science Major
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor