5 Places to Study on Campus for Commuters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Attention Seawolf commuters! The library commuter lounge is not the only place on campus we have to study! When over half of Stony Brook University’s students are commuters, it can be tough for us to find a place to study in peace. Going home in between classes isn’t always an option, and sometimes we just need a quiet spot to cram right before a test. However, finding the perfect stop to study as a commuter can be pretty tough, so here are five spots perfect for us!

1. Third Floor Library Main Stacks

Located near the main stacks on the third floor of Melville Library, there’s a row of individual desks perfect for when you need to spread out your books and do some serious studying. Not only that, but each desk has an outlet, so you can study long-term without needing to get up and find a charging station. The other two benefits? It’s super quiet all the time so you won’t be distracted, and you’re surrounded by books in case you need to find a source for a paper.

2. Wang Center

Not only is the Wang Center the home of beautiful architecture and art, it’s also a great spot to study for commuters. There’s plenty of desks and study spaces around the building. However, the best part of studying at the Wang Center might be the delicious food that’s available. Whenever you need a quick break, Jasmine and the Tea House are right there to grab a quick bite.

3. Humanities Atrium

The Humanities Atrium might be one of the most beautiful places to study at Stony Brook. With overhead windows letting in a ton of natural light and plants curling around the edges, it’s the best place to study in peace. The large tables also make a great location to study with a group of friends

4. The Commuter Commons at the SAC

While the library commuter lounge is well known, the commuter commons at the SAC is sadly not. It might not be as big, but its location at the center of campus makes it a great place to study in between classes. Plus, whenever you get hungry, there’s also a dining area just past the commuter commons.

5. Frey Hall

The first floor of Frey Hall has spaces for individual study and group study sessions, making it a great versatile spot. There are comfy sofas and chairs for prolonged studying, and whenever you need a quick cup of coffee, you’re less than a minute away from Starbucks.

Even though being a commuter might make it seem impossible to find a good studying spot, Stony Brook has a ton to offer! With great places near dining areas, some quiet spots and some gorgeous places to study, you’ll definitely want to stay on campus way past your last class!

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor