This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

As a New Yorker, I am surrounded by fashion. Walking down Lexington Ave always triggers my love for shopping. A girl can only dream of buying anything and everything in a retail store, but who can afford all that? Fortunately, I’ve discovered the perks of thrift shopping.

1. You save some serious $$$. 

As a college student, finding any means of saving money is a priority. We are already spending an absurd amount on textbooks, school supplies, and most importantly food. Thrift shopping is an affordable way of looking stylish. There is no reason to spend more than you have to for a bangin’ outfit.

2. You find things that no one else has.

There is a novelty to thrifting. It means discovering things from back in the day that most people in our generation don’t usually wear. It’s satisfying to know that you are wearing a piece of clothing that is unique.

3. There are endless options. 

No matter where you’re from or what your style is, thrifting caters to anyone and everyone. There is no set fashion or trend in most thrift shops. You can honestly find anything ranging from swift denim jackets to colorful t-shirts with cheesy jokes on them.

4. You can donate things you don’t want anymore.

Kill two birds with one stone when you stop by a thrift shop.They take donations, so give in whatever you want to get rid of from your closet. Let’s call it an early spring cleaning.

5. There’s always a story to something thrifted.

Getting something secondhand leaves the person and memories behind it up to the imagination. This adds a distinctive, non-monetary value to thrifting that is not comparable to shopping anywhere else.

Every time I walk into a thrift store, there is a wide range of diversity in the people that are shopping. You don’t have to have a certain look or fashion sense to shop in one. Thrifting provides different sets of clothing that is less well-known and caters more individually. Overall, it is a great way to save money and feed your shopaholic tendencies simultaneously.  

Gifs courtesy of giphy.com

Junior Health Science Major
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.