Career > Her20s

5 College Resources Soon-to-Be Graduates Should Take Advantage Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

In a few months, I’ll be graduating from the wonderful world of college and will face the task of adulting– like real life adulting. Trust me, I’m not enthused. I’m still trying to figure out what that will all mean. And if you’re a college senior you can probably relate. But in the meantime, I think it’s important that as college students and especially if you’re a soon-to-be graduate, that we make use of all the free resources that college has to offer. Here are five resources to take advantage of before you complete your degree. 

1. Career Center

The career center encompasses everything from resume and cover letter writing workshops, mock interviews, internships and career fairs. These are great resources to utilize in order to ensure that you’re prepared for that post-graduate job or internship you’re planning to apply to. Career fairs are also a fantastic way to learn and network with companies you hope to one day work or intern for, and to even secure a job after graduation.

2. Student Discounts

As a college student being broke is a lifestyle. But luckily, there are plenty of places that will help save you a couple of bucks if you show your student ID or use your student email. For instance, some tech companies offer student discounts of up to $100 and some restaurants offer a small percent off meals. Many online memberships– whether it be professional like a national association within your career field or more leisure like Spotify– offer student discounts as well.

3. Free Gym Membership

So here’s the thing, the gym is not completely free. You actually pay for it in your tuition. But hey, with easy access to workout equipment and exercise classes almost 24/7 it’s much better than what you’d have to pay for an outside gym membership. And after you graduate, trying to find a job with a decent salary to repay your student loans, is much more important than finding a gym membership you can afford. So while you can, hit the treadmill and run a marathon.

4. Technology and Tech Support

If you ever had your computer stop working during finals week, or needed a specific program for a project, then you know how convenient campus computers are. Tech support is also a free resource to use if there’s a problem with your computer you just can’t seem to figure out. Going to an outside tech store could cost up to a few hundred dollars, and with textbooks costs already eating half your funds, that’s another cost you don’t want to add unless absolutely necessary.

5. Counseling

Let’s face it, college is tough and mental breakdowns can happen from the stress of juggling multiple classes, work life, and personal life. During those times if you need professional help take advantage of your college’s free counseling and psychological services. Right here at Stony Brook University, CAPS offers crisis intervention, and individual, couple and group counseling, among other services. Remember that your mental health is just as important as your physical health.

College has been a long ride, but I’m beyond excited to get the degree I’ve worked so tirelessly for. But I have to admit, I’m most certainly going to miss some of these perks that come with it. So whether you’ve just started college, or you’re graduating soon like me, make sure to take advantage of these resources at some point because you won’t have them forever.

Gifs courtesy of Giphy

College journalist, photography lover and travel enthusiast
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor