person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

5 Benefits of Having a Finsta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Most people only know Instagram as a platform for sharing photos. It’s where you post cute pictures of you and your friends on vacay and artsy landscapes. What people don’t know is that Instagram is also useful as a stress reliever. Short for “fake Instagram” account, a finsta serves as an outlet to post whatever you want without shame. Rather than posting photos that make your life look exciting, you post about the embarrassing/funny/frustrating aspects of your life. College is full of blunders and mishaps that need to be documented. Here are some reasons why you should get a finsta. 

1. You get to rant. 

All of us have had bad days. Has something annoying happened to you? Has someone frustrated you? Has a class ruined your day (@BIO204)? Post it on your finsta! Your finsta is meant to be a venting space. Find a pic that accurately expresses your mood, caption it with passion, and share it with all your close friends. Once you’ve written out your feelings, you’ll feel relieved and can go on with your day.

2. Only people you want to see it, can see it.

First off, make sure your finsta account is private. You don’t want to be caught talking about something/one that you shouldn’t be. With that being said, your finsta can be as exclusive as you want it to be. There are usually a lot fewer people who follow a finsta than an Insta. It’s not about likes with this account; it’s about sharing common grounds with people you know and trust.

3. There’s no judgment.

Because your finsta is exclusive, you have no fear of being ridiculed by other Instagram users. Your content can be about anything and you don’t have to keep up with posting weekly high-quality photos.

4. You get extra likes on your actual Insta posts.

You ever post a great photo that ends up getting no likes? Well, you’ll always have a like from your finsta. It’s reliable.

5. It’s a friend support system.

The greatest aspect of having a finsta is that all your closest friends are updated on how your life is going. They are able to comment on your posts and share your emotions with you.

Getting a finsta was life-changing. Compared to my Insta account, I feel like my finsta better represents my personality. I am glad to have a place where I can post ugly selfies and be praised for it. It’s my outlet for everything college and it can be for you, too.

Gifs courtesy of Giphy

Junior Health Science Major
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor