This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

In my quest to get the best looks possible I got in touch with Kat Von D -KVD Beauty and Global Veritas Artistry Ambassador Sandra Saenz gave me expert instructions how how YOU can get the best makeup looks for Barbie, Ursula, Glinda and Elphaba. Below that I also included hair/accessories and well as nail looks.

Barbie:

Hi Barbie! This is a fun costume because you can dress up as almost anything as Barbie has done almost everything. However, Barbie does have a signature makeup look that Kat Von D’team put together.

Makeup- 

Foundation: For that flawless, doll-like complexion, use KVD Beauty Good Apple Full Coverage Serum Foundation.

Eyeshadows: Barbie’s classic look includes soft pinks and shimmery neutrals. KVD Beauty Dazzle Vegan Long-Wear Eyeshadow Sticks in shades Hail Surge and Flash Storm.

Eyeliner: Create Barbie’s winged liner with KVD Beauty Tattoo Pencil Liner.

Lashes: Barbie has a wide-eyed look so the KVD Beauty suggested their Full Sleeve Long + Defined Tubing Mascara.

Lips: Achieve Barbie’s signature pink lips with KVD Beauty Everlasting Hyperlight Liquid Lipstick in vibrant shades like Scarlet Pearl, Milk Thistle, or Bleeding Heart.

Makeup is only half the look with Barbie as her hair and nails play a big part. 

Hair: the great thing about Barbie is she comes with different hair shades so you don’t necessarily need a blonde wig. However, I do suggest you get a bow such as Beachwaver’s silky oversized bow in rose pink. It is a perfect bow that can accompany a few looks from the movie. If you are opting for a scrunchie-style, Slip just came out with a few pink silk scrunchies. The Chelsea Holiday Ornament set has a variety of pink shades to get one that specifically matches your costume. If you’re looking for a big scrunchie check out Abbey Mega Scrunchie Set. 

Nails: Barbie always has perfect nails because she’s, well, Barbie. If you want a bright/saturated pink try OPI’s Barbie collab in Hi Barbie!, more of a magenta shade, or Feel the Magic which ipink,s a lighter pink. 

If you’re looking for something softer such as a ballet-core look check, CND’s Quartz Correct and Soft Peony are both very pretty and come in one coat. 

Ursula

Ursula is such a fun character to pretend to be and the makeup may look daunting, but Kat Von D’s team gave an easy makeup tutorial:

Foundation and Concealer: Mix the lightest shade of Good Apple Skin-Perfecting Hydrating Foundation Balm with KVD Beauty Super Pomade Vegan Eyeliner, Shadow & Brow Pigment in Roxy Purple to achieve Ursula’s skin tone.

Eyeshadows: For Ursula’s eyeshadow Dazzle Gel Hyper-Metallic Eyeshadow in green. They are purple and blue as well. 

Eyeliner: Achieve Ursula’s signature cat-eye with KVD Beauty Tattoo Liner in Trooper black. 

Lips: Ursula’s bold lips they suggest a long-wearing liquid lipstick like KVD Beauty Everlasting Hyperlight Liquid Lipstick in a red, deep plum, or black shade for added drama.

What is Ursula without her crazy hair? 

For Ursula, you can style a wig vertically or use a water/soda bottle, depending on the height of your hair, bend your head down and place throughout bottle in the middle of your hair, take a hair type like goody’s polyethylene band and secure your hair to the top of the bottle. Lastly, finish with hairspray. I use BondiBoost Flex+Shine Hairspray to keep your hair in place while adding shine. I also love the fact that it is aerosol-free and contains seaweed extract, which is one of my favorite ingredients in hair products.

Ursula’s nails can go a few different ways. 

But I think OPI’s I feel Capricorn-y is a great choice as it is green and reminds me of the ocean with some sequins.

Speaking of green….

Wicked is a musical set in the Land of Oz, as in The Wizard of Oz. The origin story of The Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda, the Good Witch of the North, is celebrating its 20th anniversary with celebrations and events Halloween week but it is also a feature film that has many big names including Ariana Grande. If you want to dress up and head into the city for any of Wicked’s festivities or decide to be Wicked, I wanted to help give you some great looks. So here is,

Elphaba

Foundation: 

For Elphaba, they suggested that you mix foundation with KVD Beauty Super Pomade Vegan Eyeliner, Shadow & Brow Pigment in the shade Power Green.

Lips: Elphaba has black lips and KVD Beauty Everlasting Hyperlight Liquid Lipstick Black Bear. 

Nails: Elphaba’s nails are either portrayed as black or green. Black is fairly easy to find. As for green, I believe OPI’s I feel Capricorn-y best matches the color I saw in photos of Idina Menzel, the original Elphaba, onstage. 

Glinda

Foundation: They suggested mixing the foundation with KVD Beauty Dazzle Flakes Metallic Eye Pigment in Cosmic Snow for a radiant finish for Glinda.

Lips: KVD didn’t have a suggestion for pinks. However, since I love pink, I do have two wonderful pinks from Charlotte Tilbury: Famously Pink or Rose Blur. The former is a bit more peachy while the latter is a true rose pink. 

Glitter: Get Glinda’s magical shimmer with KVD Beauty Tattoo Pencil Liner in Pearlspar White or KVD Beauty Dazzle Vegan Long-Wear Eyeshadow Sticks in Thundercloud to add highlights.

Nails: looking at Kristen Chenoweth’s nails from the original production, they are clear. You can use Dashing Diva’s Glow nail art in Meta Melt. 

I hope these tutorials help you out this Halloween!

happy haunting.

I love writing about beauty, entertainment, fashion and accessories and more. I love musicals, singing, movies and all things beauty including hair! I've acted in movies, sung opera and won pageants. I also write fiction and many of my stories have been featured in anthologies.