10 Things I Learned When I Went Blonde

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

A few months ago, I took the plunge into bleaching my hair. From start to finish, it took around six months to get to a color that I actually liked.  But, I had to find out whether or not blondes had more fun! On this journey, I learned some important tips that I wish I knew when I started.

1. Hair masks are your best friend. 

Putting your hair through such a tough process is super drying on your hair. The best way to restore moisture in it would be to use a hair mask overnight. Soaking your hair in a coconut oil mask or one that you find on Pinterest is the first thing you should do.

2. Leave-in conditioner is also your best friend.

Even with hair masks, your hair could still be dry. This is where leave-in conditioner comes in. It’s A 10 Leave-In Conditioner with Keratin is the holy grail when it comes to dry hair.

3. It doesn’t happen overnight.

Bleaching your hair to the color you want can take a while depending on how dark you start off. Sometimes this process can take weeks to months. It all depends on what your stylist thinks is best.

4. Toning shampoo helps between touch-ups.

Purple shampoo will help lighten and keep your color from going yellow in between your hair appointments. Shimmer Lights has a shampoo and conditioner set that is specifically for bleached hair that works wonders.

5. Embrace your roots.

It’s 2016, who cares if your roots show? Seriously, it’s totally okay for your roots to show a couple of inches. #bringbackroots2k16

6. You have to use a moisturizing shampoo.

Invest in a good shampoo brand like MoroccanOil or Ogx to use as your daily shampoo and conditioner. Let each of them sit in your hair for about five minutes and it’ll make your hair feel like new.

7. Give your ends some love.

Your ends are the one part of your hair that gets the most damage. Make sure you’re giving them some extra moisture so they don’t dry out too much.

8. Get that haircut you’ve been putting off.

You’re probably rolling your eyes at that one, but hear me out! Going blonde is number one on the to-do list, but keeping your hair healthy is number two. Getting a haircut gets rid of those split ends that stump hair growth.

9. It’s an expensive process.

Getting a full head of highlights every few months is definitely not cheap. But, that’s the price you pay when you want to go lighter.

10. Try not to use heat on your hair.

Heat is your worst enemy. Letting your hair air dry is the best option and you can do a ton of different hair styles with it like braids or buns!

Journalism, Stony Brook University Sophmore, Long Island
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor