Culture > Digital

The Kim-Kanye-Pete-Julia Situation and Violence Against Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Ever since Kim Kardashian hosted SNL and seemed to fall madly in love with comedian and SNL regular Pete Davidson, things have seemed to get strange and a little concerning. Actress Julia Fox, known for her role in the drama thriller Uncut Gems, and musician Kanye West supposedly met on December 31 at a performance of West’s and seemed to immediately hit it off. Not even a week later, the two were reportedly seen on a dinner date in New York. January 2022 brought more public appearances and loved-up photos of West and Fox, much to the surprise of the public. Kardashian, the soon-to-be ex-wife of West, and Davidson, as we also know, have been spotted on several occasions together. This may seem all good and normal, but recently things have started to get a little worrisome.

West, while a highly proficient musician, producer, rapper, songwriter, entrepreneur, and fashion designer has gotten into some trouble with his past erratic behavior and comments, including a doomed 2020 presidential election. Most may know that he suffers from bipolar disorder, with West experiencing common symptoms such as excessive spending, manic episodes, depressive episodes, and more. However, as of the past week, West has begun threatening Kardashian and Davidson and publicly denouncing their relationship. He made no secret of his desire to reunite his family, including getting Kardashian back.

After calling Billie Eilish out on Instagram for allegedly “dissing” rapper Travis Scott after attempting to help a fan during one of her concerts, West’s social media spiral began to include obvious threats toward Kardashian and Davidson. This not only includes a Captain America: Civil War poster edit of West, Drake, Fox, Scott, and rapper Future on one side with Davidson, Kardashian, Eilish, and Taylor Swift on the other, with a caption threatening Davidson; there have also been private text messages from Kardashian and Davidson begging West to dial back his public threats.

Out of all the debate that has surged from this odd debacle, one thing has been made most clear: you don’t have to be a fan of Kim Kardashian or her family to recognize that what West is doing is abusive behavior. What West is doing is terrifying, and no woman going through any sort of separation from their husbands should ever have to go through what Kim is currently going through. It enrages me that there are some people who find the screenshots from Kardashian begging West to stop threatening her and Davidson funny or amusing in any way, or who choose to fault Kardashian for his behavior. No matter how famous West, Kardashian, or Davidson are, making public threats against your ex and their new partner is abusive and dangerous. To make a joke of it is to encourage this abusive behavior against women and to de-prioritize mental health. If you were really a fan of West’s, you’d support him in getting help for his mental health, because no one should have to suffer from the things he does, but that also means holding him accountable for his behavior against Kim.

Grace Duncan

Stonehill '24

Grace is from Braintree, Massachusetts and is a sophomore at Stonehill College. She is majoring in English and loves to read. When Grace goes back home for break, she loves to see her four siblings and her pet chicken Ophelia.