Life > Academics

It’s Burnout Season…Here’s How I’m Coping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Academic burnout plagues nearly every college student in the United States, and probably in the rest of the world. University of the People defines academic burnout as “a negative emotional, physical and mental reaction to prolonged study that results in exhaustion, frustration, lack of motivation and reduced ability in school”. If you are anything like me, burnout not only affects your performance in school, but it also leaves you frustrated and unmotivated in other areas of your life. Though it seems that burnout is inevitable, and sometimes an inescapable feeling, there are a few tips I have learned along the way that help me cope with it.

MAKE TIME FOR SOCIAL AND RELAXING ACTIVITIES

Part of the issue with burnout is that college students often have packed schedules that make it difficult to incorporate time for fun and relaxation. This is especially the case when burnout is slowing down your work pace and making even the simplest of assignments take hours. Even if it’s for 30 minutes a day, it is so important to make time for something you like to do to break up the studying. If possible, it is also good to take a whole day, or maybe half a day, off from doing work completely to give your mind a break and recharge. For me, I try to avoid doing any school work on Saturdays and make time to do something with my friends. 

LEARN HOW TO SAY NO

Even though saying no can be hard sometimes, especially when you know that the opportunity could have benefits or that not doing something may make yourself seem “lazy” in your own eyes, it is important to say no to extra tasks that will only add to your stress. When you feel yourself in burnout, doing the bare minimum seems unattainable, so adding extra things to do will only help to dig a deeper burnout hole.

FIND YOUR PURPOSE

This is easier said than done but stick with me. In the middle of the semester when you are drowning in work that seems like its point of existence is to make you pull your hair out, it is important to take a second to realize your end goal. For example, if you are a biology student struggling to complete a lab report, imagine how completing the lab report will get you one step closer to graduating with a biology degree and even landing your dream job. Assigning meaning to even the smallest assignments helps me put into perspective what my goals are by going to school. Admittedly this tactic is much harder for GenEd classes that seem to have nothing to do with anything, but they still serve a purpose, even if it is hard to notice at the time. 

REWARD YOURSELF

When finding your purpose is too abstract, sometimes we have to add some concrete motivation. Not that I am condoning this or am proud of myself for admitting it, but sometimes all I need to chug through a long, painful assignment is some retail motivation. Does my bank account think that this is a sustainable and reasonable source of motivation? Absolutely not, but sometimes it is the best I can do. Other things I do to reward myself that don’t involve blowing cash are watching TV shows, hanging out with my friends, going on walks, and even getting something I really like for dinner. Anything to put a light at the end of the academic tunnel, even if it is just for one assignment, can do a lot to prevent burnout. 

PRACTICE EFFECTIVE STUDY METHODS

The worst thing you can do when you are in academic burnout is to waste your time by studying or doing work inefficiently. Even though it takes a little longer and uses a little more brain power, taking notes while you’re reading instead of mindlessly skimming the textbook will save you time and energy in the long run when you need to return to the material. Something I have been loving recently that has tremendously improved my “working-while-in-burnout” ability is the Pomodoro method. This study method involves breaking up your work period into 25 minute sections separated by 5 minute breaks. Working for shorter periods of time helps me maximize my focus while I am working, which is especially important when you are burnt out and focus doesn’t come naturally. Another important tip is to study or do work with friends. It would be great if you could all work on the same assignment to help each other out and motivate each other, but even just sitting down to do separate work together helps to keep yourself accountable for actually doing work. They can also act as a support system because they too are likely struggling with burnout.

CHANGE UP YOUR STUDY SPACE

Recently it seems like the only place that I can actually get work done is when I go to the library. It’s something about the clean, open space, where everyone is committed to doing work that forces me to put my head down and grind. I highly recommend physically moving where you are studying whether its going to the library, a study room, or even someone else’s dorm. If that isn’t your thing, the next best thing is to clean and organize your study space. For me, if my dorm room is a mess, I can’t focus on anything else I need to get done. So, before I start studying, I make sure that my space (especially my desk) is clean and distraction free. 

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF

It is hard to do anything, especially something that involves a lot of brain power like school work, when your brain isn’t getting what it needs to thrive. It is important that you are eating well and getting enough sleep so that your brain has the fuel it needs to perform. I also prioritize working out in the morning before I do any school work so that I don’t feel restless and like I’m about to explode when I sit down to do a couple hours worth of work. It is so easy to neglect basic health and wellness as college students, believe me I’ve been there, but it is so worth investing the time to take care of yourself so that the work you produce, and your mental health, is improved overall.

Kenzie Mannone

Stonehill '24

Kenzie is a Senior at Stonehill College studying Criminology and Sociology. When she isn't posting discussion boards, she's working out, scrolling on TikTok, or rewatching Criminal Minds!