Career > Her20s

Dealing with the Anxiety of What’s Next

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Visiting home from college comes with the question from every relative you know: “What are you doing after you graduate?” For a small amount of people, they have a confident plan about what they are doing after graduation, but for the most part, most people are there with you, having anxiety about what they will be doing next year. 

Anxiety is something that many people deal with on a daily basis, and it is heightened by life stressors, such as post-graduation plans. Instead of stressing out and feeling like you are behind or comparing yourself to others, think about everything that you have done in the past four years. You have just completed four years of undergraduate education, spending hours cramming for exams and learning new things every day in a classroom. Maybe you also completed an internship, had a job, or played on a sports team in tandem with getting your education. Take a step back and be proud of everything you just accomplished: you do not need to immediately jump into something else just because other people may be doing so. 

Go on a trip! Traveling is such a rewarding part of life and if you have the funds for it, get out of the place you have spent the past 4+ years and see the world. You can always get a job when you get back. Take this time to cross some things off your bucket list. Enjoy life and treat yourself. 

If you are someone who thrives on being busy, there is still so much you can do to fill that need in your life. You could apply to graduate school, if that is something that will help you accomplish your dreams. There are options for everyone in this domain: from online graduate school to a graduate school in a city you’ve never been to. 

You could also pick up a new hobby. If you have always wanted to get into a rigorous gym routine but have been too busy, now is your time! You could take some time to volunteer somewhere as well, which could be very beneficial. Taking some time off and getting a job is also a great way to save up some extra cash to get your own place, travel, or put it towards a higher education. The opportunities for you are endless after graduation, so don’t fret if you haven’t been accepted to that prestigious graduate school or gotten that high-paying job offer. You will be okay!

The fear of the unknown is extremely normal. We live in a society that thrives on keeping busy and not giving ourselves a second to rest. But right now, take a deep breath, reflect on your accomplishments, and be proud of where you are at.

Piper Tinory

Stonehill '24

Stonehill College Class of 2024 Psychology Major Criminology Minor Member of Lux et Spes Society From Barnstable, MA