Life > Experiences

Embracing the Break: How To Make The Most Of Your Time Off

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stevens chapter.

Spring break is less than a week away and whether you’re traveling abroad or hanging out at home, it’s the perfect time to connect with yourself and others, and recharge before we get back into the second half of the semester.  The following are a few ideas and tips to help you make the most of your week off!

1. Try Out New Foods

Whether you’re embarking on a tour of Europe or just taking it easy at home, the week off is the perfect time to discover more about yourself and your interests. Find out what your personal tastes are by stepping out of your comfort zone and experimenting with some new foods you never thought you would! Try a restaurant you haven’t before or start a meal prep plan. If you’re at home, take some time to yourself to find some new recipes and spend time at the grocery store to look for inspiration. 

1. Spend Time Outside

If you’re staying local, embrace the weather by spending some time in your neighborhood or backyard. Go for a walk, work out, or grab a book and read. If you’re traveling, try to fit some outdoor time into your itinerary by exploring new and unique activities and taking advantage of the local weather. 

1. Connect With Others

If you’re at home, connect with an old friend from high school that you haven’t seen in a while. Make plans to meet up or just spend time having a conversation over the phone. If you’re not at home, take to reach out to a friend or family member and tell them about your travels, and let them know you are thinking of them. You might find ideas for new spots and activities to try during your travels. 

1. Spend Time In The Moment

The best way to enjoy your spring break is to live in the moment. It’s only a week long, so live it to the fullest by taking some time to get in touch with your environment, no matter where you are. This could be journaling, meditating, or simply taking time to appreciate your surroundings, anything that makes you feel more connected to yourself and what’s around you!

Hopefully this list gave you a few ideas on how to refresh and recharge yourself over the week off, and helps you put yourself in the best place to tackle the last half of the semester!

Emily Johannan is a 3rd year Biomedical Engineering major at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, New Jersey. Emily was drawn to HerCampus because of her desire to bring light to important causes at Stevens and the surrounding area. In the future, Emily hopes to use biomedical engineering and her desire to write to pursue a research career in the field of women’s health.