Q & A: break the binary with Kapono Asuncion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

In this week’s segment and the second article of this new series we are speaking with Kapono Asuncion (he/him) ’19, a Women and International Development major and Nonprofit Management minor. Kapono is a recipient of the Principal Community Scholars Program and with this scholarship Kapono is creating an amazing community involved initiative. Kapono tells us a little bit more about his project in this Q & A. 

Q: What is it that you’re doing as a Principal Community Scholar?

A: It is often difficult for trans, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming (GNC) people to obtain gender-affirming clothing due to safety, comfort, or financial concerns. I am organizing a clothing drive to break down those barriers, as well as creating a “store” in the Atrium where, on March 14, members of the trans community can obtain clothing in a safe, welcoming, and affirming space. 

Q: Why have you decided to create this particular project? 

A: I am a trans person myself, and this year I’m at a place in my life where I have been able to take on an advocacy position for myself as a trans person, for affecting change at St. Kate’s and how the institution treats the trans community, and for trans folx as a whole. This is one of many, though arguably the most extensive, approaches I’ve taken and plan to take as an advocate for the trans community. I want to make it my life’s work to combat oppression of not only trans folx but all marginalized communities, help create spaces where trans people can live without fear, and to make the world as a whole a safer place for trans people to live.

Q: How did you come up about this idea?

A: When I began my transition, I had the privilege of amazing support networks and the ability to explore changing my wardrobe and discovering the amazing power of finding new clothes that align with my gender identity. Clothes in this context can give you a renewed sense of confidence and feelings of safety, and I want to use the privilege I’ve had in my own life to create paths to gender affirming clothes for other trans people.

Q: How can the community at St. Kate’s help?

A: Donate your clothes! Encourage your friends to donate clothes! Follow me on Facebook (Kapono Asuncion) to find more information, and follow @btbinitiative on Instagram to keep up to date with the drive and to experience the passion and motivations behind my project.

Details to note:

What: Donate gently used clothing 

When: Anytime from Tuesday, March 6- Tuesday, March 13 

Where: SCA office—there is a black box and a “Break the Binary” poster above it

On Wednesday, March 14 trans folx will be able to visit a “store” in the 2nd Floor Atrium of the CdC to find free clothing and network with other trans folx.

Andrea Duarte-Alonso is a grad from Saint Catherine University where she received her bachelor's of Art in Political Science, Women's Studies, and English. She founded HC STCU in order to include voices that are hardly ever represented in media. Andrea is a storyteller, writer, and a political enthusiast. Her areas of interest lie in writing (check her website storiesfromunheardvoices.com that was created for her community), traveling, and fighting for social justice issues.