5 Questions You Get Asked at Family Gatherings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

Seeing family right before finals is a great way to have some TLC before you fall asleep with your face in your books. Family gatherings are awesome! Free, homemade, all you can eat food and sharing memories are things to look forward to. And it’s all fun and games until you get asked those dreadful questions everyone asks you each time they see you because you are off in college. Here are 5 questions you get asked at family gatherings.

1. How is college?

So simple yet so much you could say. It’s hard to sum it up. You probably end up saying something vague like “good.” I mean do they really want to know or are they setting me up, what do I say!?

2. What are you studying?

If you are undecided, you hate this question. And if you know, you always have to explain yourself. And it’s always awkward when they know how many times you’ve changed your major so they ask you, “are you sure this time?”

3. What do you want to do when you’re done with college?

Ummm….I don’t even know what I’m doing tomorrow.

4. Are you working?

I’m a full-time student, in “x” amount of clubs and student organizations, I study day and night to keep up grades, and still try to attempt to keep a up a social life what more do you want? And if you reply “yes”, it’s always a “oh, good for you, don’t burn out!”​

5. Do you have a partner?

We all see this one coming, there is really no way to prepare for it. Because if you do you get caught totally off guard. When you’re not dating someone, you are reminded once again #foreveralone. When you are in a relationship, the follow-up questions might as well be about your wedding plans. Or the moment they bring up your ex, you immediately begin searching the room for someone to rescue you.

I'm a small Hapa with big goals, on this journey called life, living in a place where the wind hurts my face & learning to become a professional people watcher. Peace and Love -Franceska Moua