The Modern Prince Charming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

I’ve never been a hopeless romantic. I love Disney movies as much as the next girl, but a prince riding in on a white horse to save a girl he’s “madly in love with” has always seemed a little unrealistic to me. Honestly, these movies are probably to blame for the high expectations so many of us are still holding on to today. I’m not saying we’re waiting for an invitation to a grand ball, a fairy godmother, or a Prince Charming with brooding eyes and a troubled backstory; that’s is all a little outdated. Let’s look at it from a more modern perspective. 

Recently, I’ve seen so many girls expecting a little too much from their “princes.” It’s not fair to expect a boy who can barely afford to buy himself a burrito at Chipotle to shower you in gifts. I know his beat up, old car isn’t the carriage of your fairytale filled imagination, but it’s time to snap out of your daydream, princess. We have a responsibility to expect less and appreciate more. Sure, we’ve been bombarded with tales of the “perfect” love story since we knew how to talk, but perfect is overrated anyway. If he can’t love you at your beginning of the movie Cinderella and you can’t love him at his Beast, then you’re never going to be Belle and he’s never going to be the Prince… the world just doesn’t work that way. 

The point is, maybe you’re never going to get the castle of your fantasies (looking at you, Cinderella), but there are so many other things worth being thankful for. Don’t expect jewelry and overpriced dinners and a whole kingdom. If you do that, you’re always going to be disappointed. Instead, appreciate the hours you spend talking with someone you love. Appreciate when they surprise you by showing up at your door unexpectedly. Appreciate holding hands, having your hair played with, and having someone tell you goodnight before you fall asleep. At the end of the day, that’s what really matters. No fancy dresses, expensive dates, or fairytale endings can compete with that. 

HCXO, 

Megan 

I'm Megan Miller, a senior Psychology/Sociology double major and Children's Studies minor. You can find me giving campus tours, kicked back in the Fred Rogers Center, or on a date with my homework at the local coffee shop. If there's one thing you need to know about me, it's that I approach every day with one goal: make Michelle Obama proud.
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!