This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

IMAGE CREDIT: Hobby Lobby

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supplies/Drawing-Illustration/Pens/Vivid-Flair-Felt-Tip-Pens/p/FP83544

I am a Teacher. I am a leader, surrogate mother, ring leader, disciplinarian, advocate, planner, counselor, mentor, and role model. As a modern elementary educator, I am constantly spinning a lot of plates, trying to adapt lessons to the individual needs of the learners of my classroom. It is NOT easy. It never was supposed to be easy, and yet there is an unfortunate stigma that surrounds the teaching profession. Ever heard of the old saying “Those who can, do and those who can’t teach”? I can imagine all my colleagues sharpening their pencils and uncapping their colorful flair pens, ready to strike in retort to that invalid statement.

IMAGE CREDIT: Blogspot

http://ontheroadtoaccomplishedteaching.blogspot.com/2012/05/modern-school-teacher.html

While the children who are either dropped off by car, walk, or take the bus to school are promised to be in the trusted care of the school faculty and staff for an odd 40 hours a week, a teacher’s job is NEVER done. These kids stick with us like glue—maybe not everyone we will remember, but they will remember us, approach us in the grocery store on a Saturday morning and say, “Woah! You buy taco shells too? I thought teachers never eat.” Well, Johnny, you’re wrong. Teachers live outside the school in their homes juggling other jobs such as being a parent, neighbor, friend, or loved one. To those children, I will see out in public on those future weekends I would like to say this: Yes kiddos, Miss Maicke does not just wear sweat pants…she LOVES to wear sweatpants.

IMAGE CREDIT: Giphy

HCXO,

Marisa Maicke

Marisa Maicke

St Vincent '20

Marisa Maicke is a junior student at Saint Vincent College located in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. She is an Early Childhood Education Major (Certification to teach Pre-k-4th grade) with a Minor in Special Disabilities (with Certification). As a future elementary school teacher, Marisa's dream is to promote a legacy of kindness, understanding, curiosity, and unconditional love in her classroom.