This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Focus and concentration can be very difficult to master. Sure, most people want to learn how to improve focus and boost concentration. But actually doing it? We live in a noisy world and constant distractions can make focus difficult.

This article contains the best way to overcome struggling with concentration. Whether you’re looking to focus on your goals in life or on campus, this article should cover what you need to know.

What is Concentration and How Do I Focus?

First things first. What is focus, really? It is defined as, “the state or quality of having or producing clear visual definition.” If you’re wondering why you can’t focus, keep in mind that most people don’t have trouble with focusing. They have trouble with deciding. What I mean is that most healthy humans have a brain that is capable of focusing if we get the distractions out of the way. Have you ever had a task that you absolutely had to get done? What happened? You got it done because the deadline made the decision for you. Maybe you procrastinated beforehand, but once things became urgent and you were forced to make a decision, you took action. Instead of doing the difficult work of choosing one thing to focus on, we often convince ourselves that multitasking is a better option. This is ineffective.

Multitasking forces your brain to switch your focus back and forth very quickly from one task to another. This wouldn’t be a big deal if the human brain could transition seamlessly from one job to the next, but it can’t.

Image Credit: Mayo Oshin

Now, you may be wondering what you should do next to combat this. What I personally do is make a list. If you want to focus better, you need to make a to-do list every day so that you have a tangible list of things to check off when you’re done, and feel more direction to accomplish your goals. Instead of sitting around aimlessly, you’ll have a list of goals in front of you, and will feel a sense of pride when you get them done. Reward yourself with breaks. Give yourself a small break every time you check another item off of your to-do list.

Just remember that you are unique and no one has a mind just like you! We are each different in our own ways and that includes how we study and what we need to do to stay on task. Hopefully, this article has helped you with a new idea on how to organize your homework, daily tasks, and when to study.

Image Credit: AFTT on Twitter

HCXO,

Kayla

Kayla Rhody

St Vincent '25

I pride myself on being my most authentic self.