Vegan in College: A Piece of [Plant-Based] Cake!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

In honor of earth day, this article is all about informing you of the most impactful ways you can save the earth today and actually make a big difference. According to Cowspiracy, a highly recommended documentary on Netflix, “Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.” Thus, if we all stopped eating animal products today, and instead learned to thrive on a plant-based diet (one of the healthiest on the planet), we would save the planet as well as our long term health almost immediately. Lucky for you, college campuses are one of the most vegan-friendly places you can find, especially for us Oles with access to the Grains line in Stav as well as a plethora of vegan options at both of Carleton’s cafeterias. I know that many people are concerned about acquiring sufficient protein on a vegan diet, which needn’t be a worry. Despite what we are lead to believe, humans do not need huge quantities of protein in order to thrive. It is easy to meet the Recommended Daily Allowance for protein through a vegan diet with these easy-to-find protein sources:

1. Lentils: Lentils pack in 9 grams of protein in ½ a cup. They are a great addition to soups!

2. Tofu: Tofu is a great food for creative cooking because it tends to take on whatever flavor you cook it in. Thus, it can be spicy, savory, nutty, or sweet, depending on your preference! One of the tastiest options in Stav hall is the curry tofu dish. Tofu comes in silken, firm, or soft varieties. Silken tofu is great in smoothies and desserts for adding creaminess as well as protein. (10 grams of protein in one serving).

3. Black Beans: Great in soups or as a dip! Can also be used to make vegan brownies. Very high in antioxidants and incredibly satiating. (8 grams protein per ½ cup).

4. Quinoa: A secret way for vegans to work protein into breakfast is by putting quinoa in oatmeal or porridge. Carleton College’s cafeteria often has quinoa breakfast options, and at home you can make a batch of quinoa for the week to be heated up every morning. A few great ways to spice it up: add pumpkin puree, berries, apple with spices, flax seeds or chia seeds. (8 grams protein per cup).

5. Chickpeas: Chickpeas are one of my favorite vegan protein sources because of their versatility. Like tofu, they can be made to taste however you like. Hummus is a classic, and from sriracha to jalapeno to garlic to rosemary flavors varieties — the options are endless. One of my personal favorite recipes is ground up chickpeas into a sweet cookie dough dip. This recipe is so great it’s hard to believe it is made out of chickpeas:http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/23/want-to-eat-an-entire-bowl-of-cookie-dough/  (6-8 grams of protein per half cup).

6. Broccoli: You might be amazed to know that 1 cup of broccoli contains 4 grams of protein, 30 calories, as well as meeting a plethora of other daily vitamin requirements. If broccoli isn’t a superfood, I don’t know what is! (Always offered in Stav Hall).

All in all, I hope this guide to vegan protein sources helps you see how easy and delicious being vegan in college really is!

Source:

http://www.onegreenplanet.org

pexels.com