Spring Reflections: Happenstance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

It was one of those days where the clouds sprinkle themselves effortlessly across the morning blue sky. My mom, my little sister, and I had woken up early to attend the 10am campus tour at Carleton. After an hour of walking around Carleton, we then took a little drive around Nortfield. And that’s when we spotted a sign to St. Olaf. At the time, I had never heard of St. Olaf and had no intention of applying. Despite my protests, my mom insisted on making a stop at Olaf, “I just drove 7 hours to get us here, so we’re going to make the most of it.”

By the afternoon, the soft breeze had picked up and it became super windy. But, the temperature was absolutely perfect. The trees in the Quad had green leaves on their branches and the flowers near the Wind Chime Memorial were back from the long winter’s nap. My tour guide was very personable, funny, and we clicked very well. I remember walking up to the 4th floor of Regents to the atrium, passing Fireside, and even getting a mini-tour of a dorm. I left St. Olaf absolutely blown away. 

St. Olaf is a very special place full of wonderful people, amazing mentors, beautiful buildings, delicious cookies, and a strong community. Being here has made it difficult for me to imagine what would’ve happened if we had never drove past the street sign for St. Olaf. 

Happenstance. Pure, simple happenstance. Being here has made me realize and appreciate all the little things in my life. I never planned on even applying to St. Olaf. But now, the idea of attending another school seems almost alien. So, this spring, take the time to appreciate all the little coincidences in your life. And even if life takes you to some unexpected, dare I say weird places, embrace it, own it. 

Images Source: Thumbnail/Image 1