etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Break Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hi fashionistas!

We’ve finally experienced a hint of spring over the past few days here on the Hill! The birds chirping, the snow melting and the sun shining remind us that spring break is almost here. Whether you are going somewhere tropical, wintery or somewhere in-between, I’ve got some ideas for spring break fashion. Take a peek and get inspired!

Tropical 

Whether you travel to Florida, California, Mexico or anywhere warm (you name it!), you are one lucky collegiate! Going south means (hopefully!) tropical weather. So, you can take those shorts and tanks out of the back of your closet and bask in the sunlight. Besides sunscreen, be sure to pack a few of these items to make the most of your tropical wardrobe! 

Shorts/Skirts/Dresses: Think care-free jean shorts if you know you will be spending hours walking along the beach, or patterned shorts or a floral skirt if you will be walking through quaint beach towns. Try pairing these bottoms with a crop top (a trend for 2014 that can be found in my spring fashion post). Dresses are also a great option. They are light-weight and easy to wear in the hot weather. 

Swimsuits: When you think tropical, you usually think beach and swimsuits! Find the perfect swimsuit for your body. The best way to do this is to try them on. You want to feel your best when you put on your swimsuit, so find colors, patterns and styles that you love. There are so many cute options out there. Find a swimsuit that makes you feel great. 

Cover-ups: Cover-ups come in many forms. Think not just swimsuit covers, but light outerwear, like a tissue thin sweater or a chambray. These will be perfect to throw on over a swimsuit to protect yourself from the sun or keep you warm if cooler weather hits. 

Hats/Sunglasses: Sport a hat – a big and floppy beach hat or a sporty baseball hat – this spring break. The beach is a perfect place to take advantage of wearing a hat. Wear it with a pair of big, sophisticated, retro shades to complete the beach look!

Winter Weather

Are you heading to the mountains this spring break? Skiing, snowboarding, or any other winter activity is a great way to spend spring break! Enjoy this time to sport your warm sweaters, layers, and scarves while you hit the slopes or cuddle-up by the fire. Here are a few items to think about packing for your winter-weather getaway! 

Sweaters: Chunky sweaters will be perfect for meandering around a ski town or cuddling by the fire. Think oversized, patterned or cardigans. Check out my sweaters post for more sweater ideas! 

Scarves: There is no better way to look fashionable and stay warm in the cool weather. Scarves will keep you cozy outside and will add dimensional element to your look. 

Vests: Be sure to pack a vest or two if you plan to go somewhere cool for spring break. They are the perfect way to stay warm without wearing a full jacket. Try layering with flannel or sweaters, and pair this with jeans or leggings and boots. 

Somewhere In-Between

If you do not consider your destination tropical or wintery, plan for weather somewhere in-between! This type of weather poses for many fashion options. To start to “think spring” in the in-between weather, try showing hints of skin by rolling the cuffs of your jeans slightly and pairing this with flats. Or, try wearing your floral skirts with tights and boots. Take out your trench coat if the weather warms-up enough! Sport a variety of colors, like pastels or patterns, and have fun with your wardrobe! If you are headed home for break, this would be the perfect time to experiment with new looks and fashion combinations! 

Be inspired by these spring break fashion ideas! No matter where you go for spring break, keep fashion in mind! Enjoy your break! 

Stay fashionable, Oles!

Cover, Tropical, Wintery, In Between

Kate Roy is a junior, Psychology and Dance double major at St. Olaf College. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus St. Olaf, she enjoys writing, editing, and helping her fellow Oles get their voices heard. Kate is involved in CompanyDance, the modern dance company at St. Olaf. In her free time, Kate loves to spend time with friends, listen to music, browse Her Campus, flip through fashion magazines, and eat chocolate.  Kate is a fashionista and has a passion for all things dealing with fashion. She works at Madewell, and enjoys getting experience in the fashion world. Kate headed the Her Campus St. Olaf College style blog, StO-Style (now Snapshot), for the 2013-2014 school year. She loved this position and hopes to continue her fashion writing in the future. Kate is extrememly excited to share the position of Campus Correspondent for the 2014-2015 school year and expand her involvement with St. Olaf's Her Campus Chapter.