Ole Fit: Function Over Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Let’s be honest, what girl doesn’t love a great pair of shoes? There’s footwear for every occasion, and working out is no exception. However, when it comes to the gym, function trumps fashion. No matter how adorable your custom Nike Frees are, they may not be the best fit for your feet when it comes to working out.

Everyone’s feet are different. Some people have flat feet and others have high arches, and the way your feet hit the ground is also important. There is a biomechanical term for this known as pronation, and there are many tools online to help you determine which type of pronation you have.

The type of exercise you do also plays a role in what type of shoe to get. How much running you are going to be doing, how many miles you plan to run each week, how much experience you have running and even the type of surface you plan to run on should all influence your shoe choice.

If this all seems overwhelming for you, don’t worry! Specialized running stores have employees that can help you find the perfect shoe. There are also many online services to  help you determine the best shoe type for your foot. With the right kicks, you’ll be “up and running” in no time!

NikePronationMud Run