Ole Entertainment: 5 Shows to Watch This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey Oles! With a new fall semester comes plenty of assignments and papers to write…or opportunities to procrastinate if you’re someone like me. Luckily, there are plenty of new TV shows coming out for you to watch while you are putting off that English essay or Great Con reading! Check out one of these great upcoming series and decide which one you want to binge watch over Fall Break (or this weekend- I’m not judging).

Gotham (Fox, Mondays at 8 p.m.)

Created by Bruce Heller, Gotham is a superhero television series focused on the early days of Detective James Gordon (Ben McKenzie) and a young Bruce Wayne (David Mazouz). The show follows Gordon’s investigation into the death of Wayne’s parents, as well as the growing crime scene in Gotham and Wayne’s upbringing that eventually leads to him becoming Batman. The pilot episode brought in favorable reviews, with critics praising the high production values and talented cast. Anyone who is a fan of DC Comics will be sure to enjoy this enticing new look at the Batman franchise!

Red Band Society (Fox, Wednesdays at 9 p.m.)

If you are looking for a feel-good show to watch this fall, look no further. Despite the weak ratings it premiered to, Red Band Society has the potential to grow into one of this season’s biggest hits. The series revolves around a group of teens living in the pediatric ward of a hospital, each of them struggling to overcome a different ailment. Regardless of their situation, they learn to find hope in their community and approach life with an incredible amount of joy. This show will leave you feeling inspired and potentially teary-eyed, so watch with a box of Kleenex nearby.

How to Get Away with Murder (ABC, Thursdays at 10 p.m.)

Starring Hollywood powerhouse Viola Davis, How to Get Away with Murder is about criminal law professor Annalise Keating (Davis) who works with five of her students to represent a host of murder suspects. The show is produced by Shonda Rhimes, of Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal fame, so you know each episode will leave you sitting on the edge of your seat.

Gracepoint (Fox, Thursdays at 9 p.m.)

Gracepoint is actually the remake of a show titled Broadchurch, which recently aired in the U.K. Anna Gunn, of Breaking Bad, breathes fresh air into the American version as a detective investigating the murder of a 12-year-old boy in a small, beachside town. David Tennant reprises his role from Broadchurch, although with a questionable American accent.

Transparent (Amazon Prime, All episodes to be released Friday, September 26)

If there is a show that will get people talking this fall, Transparent is going to be it. Starring Jeffrey Tambor, the series follows the lives of three grown children whose father (played by Tambor) slowly reveals to them that he is transgender. This show marks a huge leap forward in the telling of queer stories and the struggles that this community still faces in both the media and everyday life.

cover photo, gotham, red band society, how to get away with murder, gracepoint, transparent

Lindsey Tucker is a freshman at St. Olaf College, and is the writer for the Ole Entertainment Blog. When she's not scoping out new music tracks or browsing Netflix for the next show to watch, she enjoys playing accordion with The Runestones, whipping up tasty drinks in The Cage and attending the occasional concert.