This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

We have all heard the stories of men and women who are mortified when private pictures or videos end up sent to other friends or even on the web. You’ve probably thought, “My partner would never do that” or “That would never happen to me.” However, the reach of social media and sharing continues to grow, and with that the opportunity for these media files to leak when a relationship goes awry increases.

The term “revenge porn” has been thrown around the media in the past year as cases have gone to trial and received unfavorable rulings. This amateur porn thrives in many different forms of media, in “sexts,” in Snapchats and in videos made between consensual partners. It is reasonable to assume that many women believe their relationships will last, so there is no risk exchanging steamy pictures or the like. I hate to be cynical, but relationships are never guaranteed. Women are putting themselves at risk of unwanted exposure on the web by exchanging these intimate images or videos.

Believe it or not there are actually sites for this “revenge” porn that encourage users to post amateur porn videos or photographs of exes, and sometimes allow for other users to comment and rate the woman featured. Often, women would not know that these pictures were up until it was too late and someone else had let them know.Women like these have been overruled in court numerous times on the grounds that they consented to the creation of the videos, but that still does not make it right! Those who exploit the videos, and furthermore these sites who encourage this sex-sharing, should take some responsibility. Blaming the victim perpetuates “slut-shaming” and continues to establish a double standard for women. For now, as women, we should actively think twice about sexting and creating this “amateur porn,” because you never know what the future holds. The guy you once were happily involved with might use this against you if things go awry.

CoverTextingCouple