This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Name: John Bruer

Year of graduation: 2016

Major/concentration: Physics and Economics

Relationship status: Rockin’ that single life

Favorite place to study: Either the good ol’ Ref Room or 6th floor of Regent’s Math

Favorite food: Lamb Ragu, hand-crafted out of the kitchen of Mama Bru

Favorite movie: Monsters Inc.  Literally everything about it is creative.

Hobbies: Pretending to be an athlete, playing music (piano, guitar, drums, or singing), nerding out on computers, family bonding, spending time outside, skiing, biking, snapchatting

How does it feel to be the face of St. Olaf?: Well, to set the record straight, I’m not the face of St. Olaf, so I’ll take this question to be “Who is your favorite character from Rugrats?”  This question seems much more relevant; my answer is Phil, one of the twins. He and Lil’ hold down the fort.

What are you most excited about for next year?: Hands down, I can’t wait to spend the year living with some of my buddies in an honor house next year. We’ve got a great project oriented around dinner discussions and the perfect crew to pull it off. Ladies, I’d suggest trying to get to know some of these gents next year…

What is your dream vacation and why?: The Bruer fam always has active vacations.  That’s really my only requirement. I’d love to go explore a new place and culture, particularly in New Zealand and hike through the mountains.  We, of course, would also have to visit the Shire.  Beaches are great, but let’s be real, this guy doesn’t tan easily…    

If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would you take with you?: A knife, for practical reasons, a hammock, for obvious reasons, and a couple of boxes of Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies- those things are God’s gift to man.

Favorite outfit in your closet?: Without a doubt, my blue flannel with a vest.  It’s an unbeatable combo and allows me to conquer any and all terrain.

Describe yourself in one word: Loud?

Call or text?: It really depends on the situation, but for standard communication, text.  It helps me keep all my ducks in a row.

What is your ideal date?: Quality time out in nature.  I don’t really have a preference as to what the activity is, but a beautiful summer day would be ideal.  Relaxing out on the boat, hiking through the woods, or playing golf all qualify as good candidates.  Afterwards, we’d hit the town for dinner and something cool.  However, an ideal date isn’t quite fun unless both parties are on board, so I can’t quite qualify what the “perfect date” would be.

Finish this sentence: A girl looks her best when… she’s having fun.

What do you want the ladies of St. Olaf to know?: If you’re not getting ‘chos in the Caf on Build Your Own Nachos day, you’re not doing Olaf right.

All photos provided by John Bruer’s Facebook account, with permission

Maggie is a junior at St. Olaf, currently majoring in Spanish and Latin American Studies with a concentration in media studies.  She runs for the St. Olaf cross-country and track teams, writes for the school newspaper, and tries to do her homework in the downtime. Maggie enjoys spending time with her family and friends, reading, biking, skiing, and swimming.  She's excited to be a part of the Her Campus community!  Um Ya Ya!