samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Have Fun While Studying Smarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

It’s that time of year when the majority of campus is cramming for Mid-Terms, which is accompanied by a dark gloom on The Hill. However, you can brighten up your own day (and help spread the sunshine to classmates) with these unique study techniques that will help you ace your next test and experience less stress!

Combine it with exercise: While the word exercise doesn’t necessarily light up the pleasure center of your brain, many of us would rather be exercising than studying. Or, at least, the pain of exercise can cancel out the pain of studying (right?). Next time you have an exam, try bringing your study guide down to the gym. Quizzing yourself on the elliptical or bike can be a great review sesh, especially with the blood pumping to and from your brain. Another great tactic is to study while you stretch. The studying takes the focus from the stretch so you will make huge gains in flexibility without even realizing it, while the pain of stretching will help you process the material faster. Try memorizing a whole section of your study guide before you allow yourself to change positions or come out of the stretch.

Study with friends: Not only does this make the task of studying less daunting, but you may be able to answer some questions your friends have and vice versa. This works best when you have already studied the material on your own so that you can quiz each other and teach others (the best form of learning a concept) if need be. Better yet, combine this tactic with the above advice and have a group gym study sesh. Turn it into a game: 20 pushups if you miss a question, 10 pushups if you get the correct answer with a hint. If that is too daunting, stick with the library but take turns quizzing each other with a whiteboard. Reward each other with candy for each correct answer for a fun positive reinforcement twist.

Use a Reward System: Create a study schedule at the beginning of the day. If you stick to the schedule throughout the day, reward yourself with a fancy Cage drink. Studies have indicated that social media may be a form of addiction. Use this to your advantage by posting a picture on Instagram right before you start studying, then tell yourself you must make it through a whole chapter before you can check Instagram again. This reward system can last all day and is just as gratifying every time! Another method is to study while standing, then reward yourself with a sitting break periodically. Lastly, use sleep as an incentive. Tell yourself you must make it through your whole review notebook before bed. The best part is, if you study right before a restful night’s sleep you retain the information that much more the next day.

Photos: Pixabay.com