Game Day: Connecting Through Sports

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Over Thanksgiving break, I had the rare opportunity of no practice and no games (I’m on the St. Olaf women’s hockey team).  It may seem odd that instead of filling my free time with things that didn’t revolve around hockey, I ended up having a sport-filled break.  I spent time with the men of my family watching football after the Thanksgiving feast. While sitting there and chuckling to myself as my dad was yelling at the TV, I realized that sports have ways of bringing people together and helping us connect, even if it’s just over a simple game.

The next day I spent time with my dad watching the Gopher hockey game as they took on Vermont.  The day after that I had a conversation with my sister about her high school’s football team.  I noted all of the times that sports discussions happened over the break and realized that I talk about sports pretty often! I don’t claim to be an expert by any means in the sports I haven’t played, but I know the ins and outs of all the major sports.  In my experiences, I have found my basic knowledge of current events and strategies to be a great conversation starter with strangers or even people I know really well; Sports-talk is a great way to find common ground with someone.  By talking about sports with someone, you can learn a lot about that person and their life. 

Not only can we connect with people through sharing sports stories, but we can share experiences with people by watching and playing games with them, too. Members of great teams share so many ups and downs together that the bonds they create are lasting; We never forget our teammates.  Even if you don’t play a sport, watching sports still is a way to make connections with people.  Think about how impossible it is to NOT high-five the guy standing next to you when the team you’re rooting for makes a big play.

I think that having a love for sports is a great way to spend time with friends and family members and also to get to know people a little better, too.  I hope all of you have experienced the joys of loving a sport and appreciate as much as I do how they can be great social experiences.  We have plenty of St. Olaf teams on campus to root for this winter, so get out there and support your fellow Oles!

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.