yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
Style

Fashion for Fall Festivities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey y’all!

It’s finally Fall Break 2014! Time to go home and spend time with family, maybe travel with this beautiful weather by your side or even stay on campus and enjoy some well-deserved free time. Whatever you do, be sure to find time to treat yourself this break. Head on over to the apple orchard or find other outdoor activities to occupy your day. A hayride, a pumpkin patch, a bonfire – just have fun! Here are some head-to-toe looks for your autumn activities:

Look One

Hair and Makeup

For a cute and convenient look, go for a milkmaid braid! Whether the day brings wind, rain or sun, your hair will stay put. Don’t know how to do a milkmaid braid? The perfect video tutorial can be found here. And for makeup, try to keep your palette more neutral with subtle bronze tones. This way, your whole outfit will be at a perfect balance.

Outfit

Now that you have your fresh new up-do, you need an outfit to match. Here is a gorgeous look that uses nearly every fall essential: a great pair of boots, plaid top and dark wash jeans – you just can’t go wrong! The addition of the vest gives the outfit a feminine twist and it also provides warmth for those chilly autumn days. With this look, you are set for a cozy day out.

Accessories

Accessories can truly make or break an outfit.  You don’t want to overdo it, so find items that compliment your look, rather than take away from it. With the milkmaid hairstyle and plaid outfit already chosen, the next obvious step is jewelry (gold jewelry)! This mix-and-match look brings variety and uniqueness into your outfit. A scarf is another easy add to any look. If you keep the color plain, anything goes. As far as nails go, a neutral green is hot this season! The color will pop against your autumn outfit.

[pagebreak]

Look Two

Hair and Makeup

Another trendy hairstyle this fall is natural waves. The end product should look effortless, regardless of the amount of work put in. Both straight and curly hair will need lots of product to keep the waves intact. Search online for some awesome tutorials, like this one here, on how to achieve this look. And, just like the hair, your makeup should stay natural. In the previous look, neutral tones were suggested, and the same goes for here. 

Outfit

A casual look should accompany your now natural hairstyle. Here we have an oversized sweater, which can be just about anything you want. Cotton, wool, patterned, solid – it’s your choice. Try the cropped jeans, but if you don’t have any in your closet, roll up the bottom of some skinnies! Sneakers are a great way to top off your look. They keep the casual vibe; yet they supply a different attitude that boots aren’t able to.

Accessories

Oxblood nails are a hot hue this fall. This color makes any outfit seem trendy, so why not wear it on your nails? Midi rings and stacked rings are also in season. They spice up a look without going overboard.  For our casual look, they definitely add some needed flair! And the last accessory to really play up an outfit is the legendary hat. Ditch the beanie this year and find yourself a stylish floppy hat. Many girls believe they are not able to work a hat, but that is far from true. It might take some time, but finding the perfect hat is worth it. Any look will be complete with your chic addition.

All right ladies, finish up your papers and hand in your homework – then you are set to experiment with your new fall looks! Show them off at the orchard or head on down to the pumpkin patch, and be sure to sport your favorite autumn accessory. Have a great fall break and remember: only you can rock your look!

Stay stylish, Oles! Xoxo

Photo Credit

Cover Hair One Outfit One Scarf Braceletes Nail Polish Hair Two Outfit Two Rings Hat