This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey y’all!

Break is now over and it is time to focus on the season ahead. Winter is sneaking up on us, so what better way to prepare than with jackets?! Search for your perfect coat now and get the most use out of it with autumn still around. When the weather turns colder, you can add a scarf on top and a wool sweater underneath. Now it’s time to throw out your old jackets and consider the following options for something new!

Trench Coat

Every girl needs a neutral trench coat in her closet. The jacket can easily be dressed up or down and goes with just about anything. In the fall you could throw on some leggings and riding boots and you have yourself an outfit! In the winter consider adding a hat and some mittens.  If you are looking for simplicity, this is the coat for you.

Animal Print

Looking for something bolder? Consider animal print. Leopard print is timeless, while other prints come and go with seasons. So if you prefer something trendy, try a python print coat this fall and winter. Otherwise, stick to leopard prints and you can’t go wrong. Pair it with plain prints to keep the focus on the fierce jacket.

Fur

A fur coat is a perfect choice for the winter. The warmth of the fur will keep you cozy for whatever outside activities you endure. This jacket can also be dressed up or down depending on the rest of your outfit. Throw on some jeans and boots and you can easily go out to lunch, or wear leggings and Toms and you have yourself a comfy go-to-class outfit. No Minnesota winter can harm this snug look!

[pagebreak]

Toggle

Similar to a trench coat, a toggle jacket provides warmth using a simple style. Rather than buttons or a usual waist tie, this coat uses toggles as the clasp (hence the name). This is quite a popular look, so you will be able to find it in most department stores. Otherwise, search online and you can find hundreds of different styles and colors. Find your desired look and you will be ready to show off for winter!

Shawl Collar

The next and final look is a brave choice, but with the right outfit it’s worth the risk. A shawl collar can instantly turn any look into high fashion. No need for a scarf, as the collar provides warmth around your neck. But be sure the collar doesn’t overpower the jacket: otherwise you will stop being the focal point and all eyes will be on the coat itself. And for a convenient go-to look, pair the jacket with fitted denim jeans and black heels and you’re set!

We’ve seen simple, bold, comfy and brave … now it’s your choice.  Pick and debut your favorite coat this chilly season, while keeping in mind: only you can rock your look!  

Stay stylish, Oles! xoxo

Photo Cred

Cover Trench Animal Fur Toggle Shawl