Why You Should Join HerCampus at St. Lawrence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

While other sixteen-year-old girls read Seventeen and Teen Vogue, my best friend and I would read HerCampus. We especially loved the beauty, fashion, and advice columns. HerCampus was the older sister that neither of us had, guiding us through high school and even college. So when I found out that we had a chapter here, I was so excited to join a publication that was basically my how-to manual for surviving high school and college. But that was not the only reason why I joined. Here are some of the other reasons why I joined our chapter, and how it has made my experience better.

1. The Empowering Atmosphere

Everyone in our chapter is super kind and supportive of one another. Whether we want to talk about current events or the newest trends, we accept everyone. Most of our women’s empowerment clubs focus on the political aspect, but our chapter has done a really great job with including content that balances being feminine and being a feminist.

2. The Meetings

Our meetings are always very laid back. While we do focus on improving our chapter by pitching article ideas, creating engaging content on our social medias, and discussing fun events to do, it does not even feel like we are doing any kind of work. I always leave a meeting feeling accomplished, and I can’t really say that about other organizations on campus.

3. The Survival Kits

Let’s be real. The survival kits that HerCampus sends to our chapter are amazing. Last semester, they sent us Garnier Micellar Water, Loreal tanning lotion, hot sauce, and a mascara sample. The survival kits are great for a night out, and you can only get them if you participate in a HerCampus event or if you are part of our chapter. If that is not incentive to join, I don’t know what is.

4. Getting Published

As a soon-to-be English major, I cannot stress enough how crucial it is to have your work published. This is because communications and journalism have gotten more and more competitive But with HerCampus, you get an advantage because it is perfect for getting published, standing out, and writing about what you love.

Our chapter is truly amazing and has made my college experience so much better. The things I listed are just the beginning of what makes our chapter so great. I hope reading about my experiences will encourage you to join our chapter ?

Hannah Smelter

St. Law U '21

Writer that is passionate about veganism, books, and self-help