This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Name: Natalie Piper

(https://saintsathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6540)

Hometown: Kailua, Hawaii (Fun Fact: Obama stays here during Christmas)

Birthday: 12/16/1999

Graduating Class: Class of 2022

Favorite Foods: Donuts and Spam Musibi (a combination of spam, rice and seaweed)

Hobbies: Surfing, volleyball, making pancakes, and coffee house hunting

What is the biggest difference between living in Hawaii versus New York? Were there any culture shocks that you experienced?

It is only September and it is already colder than Kailua has ever gotten.  Culturally, people move, work, and talk A LOT faster than I am used to. I also never wore shoes going places at home.  In Hawaii, we don’t wear shoes in businesses and here I get stares when I am not wearing shoes. Also, I love the squirrels here! We don’t have any back home.  IT was also interesting to see that not a lot of people believe in ghosts and spirits here because everyone in Hawaii does.

What was your biggest challenge in adjusting to life at St. Lawrence?

I have no idea how to dress here! Luckily, my teammates are helping me.  It also has been hard not being able to call my family until the afternoon due to the time change.  I also do not have winter clothes yet!

What was one thing that you were worried about before coming here?

I was really worried about the people.  Everyone told me that people over on the east coast were naturally mean.  I quickly figured out that this is not true at all!

What made you choose St. Lawrence?

The strong sense of community and the family like feeling that the volleyball team has.

What advice would you give to other students looking to come here from a far distance?

Don’t be afraid to take the plunge, you can always go back home and be comfortable again.  Seeing and living in a different culture is a very valuable experience to have and one that you may never get the opportunity to do again.

What is something that will stay with you after your time at St. Lawrence?

So far..I think that the independence and living on my own for the first time ever, not being able to rely on other and having to overcome homesickness in unique ways.  I am also SO excited to see the snow!

What made you feel welcomed into the St. Lawrence community?

The volleyball team!  I was a little worried because I had never met the team prior to coming here, but everyone is SO AMAZING and welcoming.

What is your favorite memory at St. Lawrence so far?

Going to Stewarts to get ice cream on the hot August days.

Lauren Donohue

St. Law U '21

I am a Senior at St. Lawrence University.  I am a Psychology major with minors in Film Studies & Sports Studies and Exercise Science.  I am the captain of the Womens Varsity Volleyball team and am a Senior Admissions Fellow on campus.  I enjoy sunny weather and iced coffee from Dunkin :)   
Charlotte Barry

St. Law U '21

Hi! My name is Charlotte Barry and I am a member of the SLU Her Campus chapter!