How To Stay Social During Social Distancing

This period of staying at home with your family is difficult for many (myself included). I miss the company of my friends from school and those that live in my hometown. In this time of turmoil, it can seem hard to find ways to keep in touch with those you are close to. However, I have figured out a few ways to ease the strain that social distancing is creating.

Write Letters

I have tried this with my friends in past semesters, and it has worked quite well. It may seem a little slow and time consuming, but there is something about receiving a piece of mail that makes my day just a little bit better. You can also decorate your letters and envelopes, bringing out your inner artist.

Schedule FaceTimes

Now that FaceTime has updated so that multiple people can talk at the same time, it is one of the best ways to keep in touch with your friend group. I know that online school and the workload is a lot to juggle, but by scheduling a specific day and time that works for everyone can help ease planning confusion. It also gives you something to look forward to, as you know when you are seeing your friends again.

Netflix Party

Easily one of the best and simplest extensions to add to your desktop, Netflix Party allows you and your friends to watch a movie or TV show at the same time. There’s no need to count down when you all press play as when the entertainment is paused, it pauses across all screens. It’s a great way to work your way through your to-watch list or re-watch some of your favorite episodes.

Text and Call

I know this seems rudimentary, but just sending your friends a text checking in on them or sharing a funny gif, video, etc can bring a little happiness to their day. Also, a phone call can do wonders, as you can whittle away the boredom as you recount the happenings of your day. It’s not as advanced as the other options on this list, but it can be just as effective. 

Although being away from friends is hard, the technology at our disposal is wonderful. It helps to bring people together during this time of separation and makes the distance between us that much shorter.

Disclaimer: Her Campus St. Law U is neither affiliated nor sponsored by any brands and companies mentioned in this article.

Hannah Lobdell

St Law U '22

I love attending St. Lawrence University! I am interested in reading, movies, video games, and music. I also LOVE to watch and play ice hockey. I also play rugby!