stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Start the Semester Off Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Be prepared:

For a new student coming into college, classes are different than in high school. You need to prepare yourself for a different setting and keep a very open mind. Even for returning students, the first couple of weeks can be a eye-opener. After a summer of lounging on the beach or working full hours, you’re brain isn’t used to the workload of semester long classes. It always gets better once you’ve adjusted, and being prepared for this adjustment really helps.

Look over all of your syllabi & plan out your schedule:

One of the best things you can do at the beginning of the school year is plan out what the semester is going to look like. Flip through those syllabi that every professor hands out during “Syllabus Week” and grab your very handy planner. By listing quiz and test dates, as well as assignments, you will already be ahead of the game. Use your planner even to lay out extra-curricular activities such as practices, games, rehearsals, etc. If you can conquer this task early, it might save time and stress in the long run.

Create a daily routine:

This is somewhat related to planning out your semester in your planner, but it is important enough to have it’s own bullet. A daily routine will help you settle into life at school and will make it easier to handle the stresses of being a college student.

Participate in class:

Participation is key in class, not just because some professors include participation as part of your final grade, but because it will benefit you as a student. Being active in class will help you connect course content and will also help with memorization. Making sure your professors notice you in a good way is also a plus!

Actuallt do the homework:

Professors assign homework to help you practice so that the skills will come quickly. Most of the time homework is not just a busy work assignment. Although it can be time consuming, it is definitely worth the commitment.

Find a study buddy:

Having someone to run through the material with before a quiz or exam is very helpful! This way you can clarify things you might be confused or unsure about, and in addition give yourself practice by explaining things to your partner.

Get moving:

Not everybody is into running or lifting, but for those of you that typically exercised before coming to SLU, do not forget to keep it in your life. School is a busy time, but one of the great things about it is that you can include things you like to do into your schedule. Even if exercising is not your favorite activity, it might be good to give it a try so that you can stick to a schedule. Exerting yourself physically through working out is a great stress reliever and might take your mind off of the looming exam headed toward you for a little while.

Don’t forget about sleep!:

For college students, eight hours of sleep is recommended every night. This might be hard to accomplish with all the work and extracurricular activities you find yourself participating in, but it has to become a habit during the school week. Trust that if you do not get enough sleep the night before an exam, your performance might be affected. I suggest going to bed early and getting up early. For this to happen, try to plan out your day and manage your time well.

Set some goals for yourself:

Goals do not have to be these major, daunting markers. Make small, achievable goals for yourself that you can reach during the semester. These can include getting to bed at a set time, making workout goals, getting above a certain grade on an exam, etc.

Include a social life:

College is about academics and pursuing a higher education, but there is also a big social aspect to it. Even though you should follow the tips to do well in classes, you should also make sure that you figure out your social scene. For incoming freshman, take the first week to meet new people and establish relationships because these friends will help you get through the first semester or year. For returning students, the first week is also important to reconnect with current friends and also reach out to new ones. Academics are important, but having a social life (whatever it might be) is also another crucial aspect of surviving college.

Photos: USA Today (Photo by Ryan McVay), Alexx Nawrocki, Very Well (photo by Terry Martin)