harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Cope with Your Anxiety on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

College can be one of the best and most stressful times of your life. You’re balancing, work, extracurriculars, and a social life, all while trying to make your parents proud and also having fun. On top of that, being at a small school surrounded by people your age can take a toll on your self-confidence and lead to unwanted pressure on yourself. I myself have experienced this overwhelming pressure and anxiety and it is no fun. You feel tense, anxious, disconnected from your friends, and what’s even worse is that you’re away from home. However, I am here to tell you that there are plenty of ways to help cope with anxiety on campus, and they really help!

Counseling at the Health Center

The counselors working at the health center are some of the best people to talk to. They are there to listen to you, and only you, with an open mind, no bias, and they will truly give you the best advice you need to feel better. For some people it may seem difficult to go and speak to a professional counselor, however, they are completely confidential and are a great resource on campus. Counseling sessions are free, and you can make an appointment by calling (315) 229-5392.

The Gym

The gym is one of the best places to relieve stress. Not only does exercise help release endorphins throughout your body, but it can also be a great distraction from whatever is causing your stress. Even if you are not the most athletic, 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill is enough to help you take a deep breathe, reset, and relax.

The Sauna

When you’ve finished hitting the gym the sauna is a great place to find continual relaxation. The heat will help clear your mind, relax your muscles, and take you away from that stressful place.

B12 and L-Theanine

Anyone that knows me knows that I am a huge advocate of B12 Vitamins. They help create natural energy within your body that give you the mojo you need to go throughout your day and stay focused. L-Theanine is also a great supplemental vitamin that helps me relax. It is made with tea extract that gives you that same calm content feeling you have after a nice cup of tea.

Take a Break

When it comes to the weekend, many of us are in a hurry to put down the books and party all night long. However, alcohol and lack of sleep are some of the worst causes of stress and anxiety. So, while everything is fine in moderation, make sure you don’t over do it on the partying, and get plenty of sleep on the weekends.

A first year at St. Lawrence University, squash player, PCA Major from New York City.