This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

The tastes of fall make my mouth water just thinking about them: pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, apples, chai, etc. The bummer about these flavors is that often times classic recipes such as pumpkin bread, apple crisp, caramel apples, chai lattes, and so one are loaded with tons of sugars. However, I find it quite hard to resist these yummy treats, so I experimented with some recipes and made some healthier versions that are just as delicious! (and I really mean that). I am going to share these simple recipes with you and I encourage you to try it for yourself when you get the spare time. Totally worth it!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins:

• 1 cup pumpkin purée

• ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil

• 2 eggs

• 1 tsp vanilla extract

• ⅓ cup maple syrup 

• 2 cups oat flour (I used almond flour)

• 1 tsp baking soda

• 1 tsp baking powder

• 1 tbs pumpkin pie spice

• ⅓ chocolate chips (optional)

Directions: Whisk together wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately. Once this step is complete, slowly integrate the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Place the mixture in muffin pans and bake at 350° for about 30-35 minutes. Should make about six jumbo muffins depending on the size of your pan. I added my own touch to this recipe and put some homemade granola on top of these bad boys. So yummy!

Almond Butter Cookies:

• 2 mashed bananas 

• ¼ cup of almond butter (any nut butter will do)

• 1 ½ cup oats (I forget to add these sadly, but still just as tasty!) 

• 1 egg

• 1 tsp cinnamon

• 1 tbsp pure maple syrup

• 1 tsp vanilla extract 

Directions: Combine all of the ingredients together in a bowl and roll cookies onto a sheet pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes and you are all set! 

These are the only two recipes I had the opportunity to test out while I was home, but let me tell you: they were scrumptious. I highly recommend trying these goodies for yourself and see why I love these guilt-free sweets so much. Will totally be making them again in the future!

Charlotte Barry

St. Law U '21

Hi! My name is Charlotte Barry and I am a member of the SLU Her Campus chapter!