Healthier Recipes to Eat at Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Everyone knows the holidays involve lots of food. All delicious, scrumptious food, but often times very unhealthy. The holidays do not have to follow this tradition of unhealthy eating, you can still enjoy them while caring for your body. I’ve crafted a list of Thanksgiving foods that will improve your Thanksgiving day dinner, some I’ve tried myself and others I’ve collected from a variety of people.

Butternut Squash Soup

Nothing is more satisfying than a nice bowl of hot soup on a chilly Thanksgiving day, especially butternut squash soup. There are many ways to make this soup, most include some type of dairy, but to make it even healthier I’ve found a recipe that is simple and good for body as well as your soul. Check out Yummy Healthy Easy’s recipe: https://www.yummyhealthyeasy.com/easy-butternut-squash-soup

Cranberry Walnut Salad

This is a very simple recipe to make, also perfect for the fall season. It will satisfy your craving for something delicious, but healthy. A recipe can be found by Katie’s Confessions: http://katiesconfessions.com/index.php/recipe/cranberry-walnut-goat-chee…

Roasted Brussell Sprouts

One of my favorite dishes to make are roasted brussell sprouts. It is a simple dish to make and usually a fan favorite, not to mention a pretty healthy option for Thanksgiving dinner.

What you’ll need:

Brussell sprouts

Olive oil

Balsamic Vinegar

Optional: Salt and pepper

What to do:

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Cut up the brussell sprouts and combine in a mixing bowl with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. You can use however much oil and vinegar you’d like, but the usual rule of thumb is for one cup of brussell sprouts use 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. I usually add some salt and pepper to the mix to add more flavor.

Once mixed, spread on a baking sheet, drizzling the oil and vinegar left in the bowl over the brussell sprouts.

Cook for about 25 minutes and enjoy!

Mashed Sweet Potato

Mashed potatoes is a must have at Thanksgiving, but a little healthier of an option is mashed sweet potatoes, substituting milk and butter with almond milk. A favorite of mine that my family has had many times, this recipe will not let you down.

What you’ll need:

Sweet potatoes

Almond milk

Salt and pepper 

Optional: Cinnamon  

What to do:

Preheat the oven to 400 F.

Bake the sweet potatoes until soft.

Cut the potatoes in half and spoon out the potato into a bowl.

Add almond milk as necessary.

Add salt and pepper to the potatoes. If you’d like, many people enjoy these potatoes with a hint of cinnamon.

Mix the potatoes, almond milk, and seasoning until fluffy and adjusted to your liking.

Enjoy!

Quinoa Stuffing

Everyone loves a good stuffing as it is a Thanksgiving favorite, but it can be loaded with unhealthy ingredients or heavy on carbohydrates. A healthy alternative to this side is to make quinoa stuffing. The recipe is a must try from Tasty Yummies: http://tasty-yummies.com/quinoa-sage-stuffing-gluten-free-vegan-guest-post-by-living-simply-gluten-free/

Cranberry Sauce

Now cranberry sauce is high in sugar, but I’ve done my best to find a healthier recipe to satisfy that undeniable craving for this Thanksgiving must-have. Busy But Healthy has a good recipe with no added sugar. Instead they use stevia, a natural plant based sweetener: http://www.busybuthealthy.com/sugar-free-cranberry-sauce/

Healthy Pumpkin Pie

No Thanksgiving is complete without pumpkin pie. It is a must to follow up a delicious meal of turkey and healthy sides. My brother discovered this recipe a few years ago, and since then it has made an appearance every year at the dinner table.

What you’ll need:

GF Pie crust (this can be made from scratch for an even healthier option or made from a mix)

3 large eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

½ tsp salt

1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice

1 cup almond milk

1, 15 oz can of pumpkin puree

¾ cups of maple syrup

What to do:

Preheat oven to 425 F

Make the pie crust (follow the instructions of whatever pie crust you decide to use)

In one bowl whisk all dry ingredients

In a second bowl, whisk eggs, maple syrup, and almond milk

Combine both bowls and mix together.

Put the pie in for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 F. Keep in for 50-60 minutes.

Take the pie out of the oven and let it cool.

Enjoy!

(Photos: The Spruce, Chew Out Loud, recipeler, Food Network, Genius Kitchen, Tasty Yummies, Yummy Healthy Easy”)