This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

If you haven’t already started studying for your finals, writing your papers or preparing your speeches, you probably will soon and for those who have started, you may already be feeling some common finals symptoms. Lack of sleep, excessive appetite, need for caffeine and along with those doubt and stress are common emotions to appear during the stressful end of the semester. One of the best ways to combat this tough finals week is through self-care activities. These little reminders to take care of yourself might be just what you need to power through and rock those finals!

Take time for yourself!

This is the most obvious self-care step but it’s also the easiest because this can look however you want it to! Whether it is doing your laundry, packing up your room or doing yoga, take time for what you know can be a moment of reflection and calmness. These moments of peace are few and hard to come by during this stressful time but perhaps when you complete an assignment or master a skill for an exam, take a moment to appreciate your work and keep up with your other needs.

Take a screen break before bed

With so many assignments and papers being completed on computers, our eyes may get little rest from your laptop screen this week. To help your body unwind and mind begin to rest, try to avoid watching a movie or show before bed. This break from the screen will allow you to easily fall asleep for a restful recharge. Instead, ask friends to play a card game or dance to music to get that last bit of energy out!

Get a group together for dinner

While it can be tempting to grab a cup of soup and head back to your room, spending time with your friends is never more important than when you are stressed and overwhelmed. Encourage each other to all meet-up, taking a break from whatever work is on your mind be present together! Taking this social break is a great release for your mind and food is one of the easiest forms of energy.

Get outside!

As snow continues to fall, it can be tempting to keep your outdoor time limited to the runs between class and the library. While its cold and brisk, the sun is still shining! Challenge yourself and friends to take a walk after lunch or between study topics, to give your brain a break and legs a stretch. Not only will the cool breeze perk you up but that shining sun bouncing off the snow will help with some of those seasonal depression symptoms!

Katie Leffel

St. Law U '21

Hi! My name is Katie Leffel and I am a sophomore and Campus Correspondent for St. Lawrence University, situated in Canton, New York. I am furthering my interests and pursuing double major in Business in the Liberal Arts and Economics as well as a minor in Film Studies. In addition, I am from Connecticut and my interest include fashion, art, exersize, and the great outdoors!