This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

The older we get, the more we find ourselves needing professional-looking clothing. Whether you have an interview coming up, a presentation, an internship or a job with a business casual dress code, it is key to have a few articles of cute but professional clothing in your closet. Here are a few tips for how to accommodate this need while staying on a budget!

Tip #1: Choose where to shop

Some great places to find business casual clothes that won’t break the bank include H&M, The Gap, TJmaxx, Marshalls, Zara, and The Loft.

Tip #2: Keep your eyes peeled for sales

Stores such as Talbots, Nordstrom, Macys, and Ralph Lauren often have great sales that make originally more expensive pieces affordable. Consider styling basic outfit pieces with a slightly more expensive touch without spending any extra by taking advantage of sales!

Tip #3: Buy the basics first

If you don’t want to spend lots of money on your business casual section of your closet, invest in a few pieces that will go with multiple different outfits and will be staples in your business casual wardrobe. For example, buying a white button-up collared top can go with khaki, black, navy, patterned, or any bright shade pant, and will pair nicely with skirts as well. Buying a simple blazer is also a great purchase because throwing a blazer over top of blouses or dresses makes the look that much more put together. Stick to basic colors and limit patterns when starting your business casual wardrobe, so you can re-wear and mix and match the pieces!

Tip #4: Start early

Even if it seems as though you don’t need any business casual or professional looking clothing at the moment, you never know when something might come up in which you do. Avoid scrambling for an outfit at the last minute by slowly beginning to accumulate pieces whenever they catch our eye. You will thank yourself later!

Photos: Pinterest

Kristen Phillips

St. Law U '20

Hi everyone! I'm Kristen! I am a Performance and Communications arts and Psychology double major, and plan to one day hold a career in the public relations field. On campus, some of my favorite things to do are get chai lattes at the bookstore, run the nearby trails, head into town for some kombucha, or hang out at my sorority house with my friends! 
.