Best Study Snacks for Optimal Brain Power

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

We all know that college students study a lot, but did you know that most people are not fueling their brains with the proper foods for optimal studying? Fueling your brain with the energy it needs will help your performance by allowing your mind to retain more information in shorter periods of time. Here are some snacks that will ensure your best study sessions!

Hummus and Veggies:

Chickpeas, which are the main ingredient in hummus, are a great source of manganese, which aids metabolism. This can help by allowing more blood to flow to the brain. With more blood flow to the brain, you will be able to retain more information.  Hummus is also a very tasty snack that can be paired with most vegetables, so try adding various colored veggies to your hummus plate!

Apple or Banana with peanut butter:

Peanut butter is a great source of protein.  It contains a high amount of vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that works to protect nervous membranes. Thiamine can also be found in peanut butter, and this allows the brain to convert glucose to the energy that you will need during long study sessions. Pair your peanut butter with pretzels, apples, or a banana.

Trail Mix:

Nuts and dried fruit are essential to a good study session. Walnuts are high in omega-3’s, which are necessary to keep your brain fluid and flexible. Pair these walnuts with some dried blueberries, which will help the brain to protect itself from oxidative stress. This combo will be both delicious and effective!

Avocado Toast:

Avocados are another great food that allow an increased amount of blood flow to the brain. Avocados, being high monounsaturated fats, will increase brain productivity. Eat the avocado by itself with some salt, pepper, and light olive oil, or spread it on some toast for breakfast to start your day off right. If you are not sure where to find avocados at SLU, they are sold in the Pub or at our local Price Chopper.  

Spinach and Egg Omelet:

Eggs are wonderful for your brain. They have a high amount of choline located in the yolk and this choline is used to make acetylcholine, which is a neurotransmitter that promotes learning, memory, and communication. Pair this with spinach, which is rich in vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 has been found to increase the speed of the brain and promote short-term memory.  

Greek Yogurt and Granola:

Greek yogurt is a great source of probiotics. Although the commonly known thing about probiotics is that they help with your digestive system, it has been found that they can do much more than that. Probiotics have been proven to help with stress relief, boosting mental capacity, and managing anxiety and depression. So, grab some yogurt and granola at Dana and get to your favorite study spot!

(Photos: The Honour System, Heb.com, Quebecor Media, Minimalist Baker, Cook for Your Life)

Lauren Donohue

St. Law U '21

I am a Senior at St. Lawrence University.  I am a Psychology major with minors in Film Studies & Sports Studies and Exercise Science.  I am the captain of the Womens Varsity Volleyball team and am a Senior Admissions Fellow on campus.  I enjoy sunny weather and iced coffee from Dunkin :)   
.