4 Young Female Athletes Every Girl Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Kelly Silaru

Age: 15

Hometown: Estonia, Canada

Discipline: Slopestyle Skiing

Kelly Silaru won the X Games in 2016 at just thirteen years old, and then proceeded to win again this year. She’s the youngest female skier to ever do so, and she’s also won the Dew Tour in 2015 and 2016 respectively!

Mallory Pugh

Age: 18

Hometown: Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Discipline: Soccer

Mallory Pugh was the youngest member of the U.S. Women’s National Team to debut since 2002. After she scored her first career goal in her first ever appearance, Pugh went on to become the youngest player ever to be selected and actually play during an olympic qualifying tournament. Despite being among the best in the world, she is still planning on attending college, and will play soccer at UCLA!

Sabre Norris

Age: 12

Hometown: Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia

Discipline: Surfing

At nine years old, Sabre Norris completed her first 540 trick and became the first Australian female (and third female ever) to do so! In 2016 she received the wildcard for the WSL event and competed in the Sydney International. She is the next up-and-coming surfer, but along with her talent in the water, her interviews and love for donuts have also gained her international attention.  Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy3n-dIfu-w

Kayla Montgomery

Age: 19

Hometown: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Discipline: Running

Kayla Montgomery was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (also known as MS) at the age of fifteen, forcing her to stop playing soccer and instead begin running. Throughout her high school career, Montgomery grew from an average runner to a three-time state champion. Her MS has prevented her from being able to physically stop her body from running, but that hasn’t stopped her from pursuing her passion. Currently, she is running for Division 1 Lipscomb University in Nashville Tennessee.