This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

This year has been quite eccentric, especially when it comes to all the new music that has been released by popular artists. Artists such as Lil Nas X, Doja Cat, Kanye West, Olivia Rodrigo, and Drake have all managed to dominate the billboard charts with their successful albums that are currently charted at top 10. Olivia Rodrigo’s album, Sour is currently at number 5 on the billboard charts. If you ask me, the VMA winner for best new artist did not fail to display to her fans around the world the reason why she deserved her awards. Doja Cat’s hit single, “Kiss Me More” featuring SZA off her recent album Planet Her, is receiving a massive amount of airplay across every radio station. Doja Cat evolving as an artist from her 2019 hit single, “Say So” to the release of her current album, shows that she’s not only found her sound, but she is establishing herself as an artist. Lil Nas X’s album, Montero is at number 2, and his current hit single, “Industry Baby” featuring Jack Harlow, continues to climb the charts for the number 1 spot. The collaboration between these 2 artists on this track sounds really good, as Lil Nas X continues to prove to both his fans and haters that he’s here to stay. Kanye and Drake have released their new albums, and they both have been doing very well. Drake’s album, Certified Lover Boy is currently number 1 on the charts, while Kanye West’s album, Donda recently earned him his 10th number 1 album. Although both albums are seemingly being compared by the public, the overall conclusion that can be observed is that both artists are different and unique in their own way. I really enjoyed Kanye’s need to be sentimental and being open with his personal life throughout Donda, just as I loved all of Drake’s hits throughout CLB. All of these albums are distinctively different, and as a result, incomparable in their own way.                                                     

Ashli-Amari Bent

St. John's '25

Year: Sophomore Major/Minor: Journalism with a minor in Sociology Other Involvements: NAACP, Public Relations Society, The Torch Hobbies: Writing poetry, reading celebrity gossip, and blogging