This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

(Warning: Spoilers ahead)

Financial hardship leaves protagonist, Seong Gi-Hun, inclined to do anything for money in Squid Game, a new Korean series by Hwang Dong-hyuk. Seong, a middle aged dad, lives with his mother. As a result of his gambling problem, he is in debt, and cannot provide for his daughter in the way he wants. When he is approached by a man who promises him 100,000 won if he wins a “straight forward” game, he accepts.

This was essentially the beginning of a nightmare for Seong Gi-Hun and all the other players. What initially seemed like a quick way to earn a huge sum of money amongst a group of other people, soon turned into a bloodbath. The series highlights how far desperation, greed, and debt can push individuals to go for money. It also highlights the problems that the less fortunate face. 

Creator Hwang Dong-hyuk crafts the story line exceptionally in this thriller, which has quickly become a hit nationwide. A viewer never knows what will happen next, which is arguably the best part. I especially loved how each character (good and bad) was constructed with depth, highlighting worldly issues that have led them to this spot in each of their lives. Significant lessons and ideologies were also woven throughout each episode. The particular idea that money equals power in some people’s minds was reinforced in this show. Like many of the best shows I’ve watched, Squid Game will leave you stuck wondering, “What just happened?” afterward. I personally watched all 9 episodes within 2 days. However, it is not for the squeamish. It has earned it’s TV-MA rating through very gruesome and savage imagery, along with other mature topics and scenes. However, it is well worth the watch (be sure to take breaks when needed). If you enjoy shows like, Money Heist, or the movie, The Platform, (both of these are also on Netflix), I definitely recommend this show. From beginning to end, the series will have you engaged and wanting more.

Alysha Richards

St. John's '23

19| NY| Hello! My name is Alysha Richards and I am a junior at St. John's University in Queens. I am currently working towards a degree in Legal Studies, and a minor in Journalism. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me. Lover of all things Disney & Marvel.