Style > Fashion

Spring into the New Season with Spring Fashion Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Take a look outside. As the plants begin to blossom and temperatures start to rise, the signs of seasonal change will reveal themselves right before your very eyes. This means that after four long and dreadful months of winter, spring is finally here. Luckily, if you feel you’re in need of a fresh start, spring offers a natural reawakening with your name written all over it. So, as you prepare your mind, body, and soul to embrace the warmth of the new season, don’t forget to prep your wardrobe too! 

Read ahead for four springtime fashion tips.

1. Brighten Your Wardrobe

In gloomy seasons, it’s common to fill your closets with dark clothes. After all, with little to no sunlight, you need dark clothes to capture and maintain as much heat as they can. So, as the gloomy seasons leave and the sun comes out, you can begin brightening your wardrobe. This will help you keep cool in the spring weather while also matching nature’s beautiful aesthetic.

2. Compliment Your Body

Just like your wardrobe should compliment the season, so should it compliment your body. Wearing clothes that compliment your body helps bring your outfits to life in a way that’s unique to you. Remember, you wear the clothes, the clothes don’t wear you. So, find what suits YOU the best and give it life as only you can.

3. Dress In Layers

We all know that spring (especially in New York), can be cold one second and hot the next. So, every fashionista will need to master the art of dressing in layers. Dressing in layers allows you to prepare your outfit for each temperature of the day, from chilly mornings, to warm afternoons, to cold nights. You can pair a cute fitted dress with a cardigan or a delicate blouse with a crisp blazer. Layering up will make sure you look good and feel good every hour of the day.

4. Less Is More

ZigZags, stripes, floral, cheetah; the prints available for you to wear seem endless. Whether they’re the logos of your favorite luxury brands, imitations of the world’s most exotic animals, or simple artistry, you might find it hard to not overindulge in these lively prints. However, while these designs might look beautiful, when unflatteringly paired together, your outfit can quickly turn into a clashing wreck. To avoid this mistake, wear fewer prints and more solids. For example, if your outfit is made of prints, match it with a solid-colored bag, overcoat, and pair of shoes. The less dramatic prints you wear, the more your outfit will pop…flatteringly.

No matter where you live, this time of the year can help you spring into a period of rebirth. Thus, making it the perfect season to breathe new life into your wardrobe. With a wide selection of fashionable pieces on the market for you to wear, the ways in which you can expand the collection in your closet will seem endless. So, as you get lost in the aisles of your favorite stores or are browsing through the categories of your most loved online stores, don’t forget to apply these springtime fashion tips to your shopping cart. Happy spring everyone!

Yaminah Smith

St. John's '22

Yaminah is a St. John’s University graduate with a B.S. in Journalism. She loves writing everything from brief motivational quotes to detailed narrations. With each word, she hopes to inspire and guide people all over the world towards improvement.