self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Life > Experiences

Let’s Bring Awareness to Alzheimer’s Disease

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

I never knew that Alzheimer’s Disease would drastically change my life. This disease was something that nobody in my family had until my great-grandfather was diagnosed. It truly made me realize how important it is to check in on family. You never know the battles they may be silently fighting.

Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive brain disorder that affects memory, cognitive function, and behavioral abilities. According to the Alzheimer’s Association, “Alzheimer’s is a brain disease that causes a slow decline in memory, thinking, and reasoning skills”. This disease typically develops in individuals who are 60 and older.  Additionally, old age is one of the biggest risk factors for Alzheimer’s disease.

These are ten signs to look out for if you suspect your family member may be suffering from this disease.

• An individual may experience memory loss that interrupts their daily routine.
  • It may become harder to solve challenges that occur in life. 
  • There may be the incapability to complete daily tasks in their routine. 
  • Confusion can set in, which makes it harder to tell time or recognize where they are.
  • They may have trouble comprehending spatial relationships and visual images.
  • It can become difficult to speak or write.
  • A lot of things can tend to get misplaced because a person may not be able to retrace their steps.
  • An individual can suffer from decreased judgment when it comes to making decisions.
  • An individual may have changes to their personality and mood.

Furthermore, this disease hits home for me. My mother became the caregiver for my great-grandfather to take some of the burdens off of my great-grandmother. It was very difficult watching my great-grandfather deteriorate day by day. This truly broke me because I couldn’t do anything to help him get better. There would be days when he remembered me but didn’t remember who my mother was. This disease took a toll on the lives of everyone in my family. Unfortunately, I lost my great-grandfather to Alzheimer’s disease on June 9th, 2015. I would give anything to have him back.

You never know how many people close to you are suffering from this disease and its effects. I made a promise to myself after the loss of my great-grandfather to become an advocate for Alzheimer’s disease. During the peak of the coronavirus pandemic, I decided to start a candy fundraiser to raise money for Alzheimer’s awareness and to continue having my great-grandfather’s memory live on through me. The more individuals we can get to join the fight would mean we would be closer to potentially finding a cure!

References 

10 early signs and symptoms of alzheimer’s. Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia. (n.d.). Retrieved November 21, 2022, from https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/10_signs

What is alzheimer’s? Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia. (n.d.). Retrieved November 21, 2022, from https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/what-is-alzheimers 

Jazmyne Easley

St. John's '23

Hi! I am Jazmyne Easley ! I am a criminal justice major with a concentration in forensic psychology. During my journey at St.John's I have been inducted into honor societies and promoted as team leader at my campus job pretty early into my college career. I love to shop, read, write, and hang out with friends/family. I am the CEO of GlamourGirl Lash Bar !NC. I've had a passion for writing since I was a little girl. I always felt that I could express myself in a manner that is unmatched through my writing. I am super excited about my journey with Her Campus ! Ig@_1jse